Chapter 2 - Tempest

"You've been training for this your whole life. We will now see who is worthy enough to be called a Storm, to join the highest ranks of all: the Stormlets."

Blood's feet slapped ominously against the wet stone as she paced between the lines of hundreds of chromaveins. The first row, consisting of thirty or so chromaveins, was of recruits participating in the Trial of Bane to be accepted in.

Blood wore her usual attire: a white lion pelt dress against her obsidian-black skin, snowy owl feathers tucked in a mane of gold and scarlet hair, and ears pierced by bleached teeth and bones. Only the leather cord of an animal-hide pouch was visible around her neck. Lastly was the powerful ruby embedded in her forehead, which pulsed steadily with a dull, red glow every now and then, like a heartbeat. Her crimson eyes regarded each person coldly. Tempest returned her steely gaze with one of her own, lifting her chin just a bit higher.

"I hope you each understand your task," Blood's heavy and commanding voice reached everyone, though she spoke quietly. "Tonight we hold the seasonal Trial of Bane." Something about her voice sent fear spiraling through those listening. Not me, Tempest thought, fists clenched. Nothing scares me. Even so, she listened intently.

The Carnelian Alpha, Inferno stepped forward. "You will ransack a town in Ripplore, the big one on the coast. You must each bring back a stolen animal to present to Earth as a sacrifice. Blood will interpret Earth's reply. Should you succeed, you will feast with us on your prize and join the ranks of a Stormlet."

"Work together or work alone, I care not." Blood swung her head to meet everyone's gaze. "And should you fail, you will be banished from the Stormlets for eternity." No pressure, Tempest thought wryly.

"You must meet us back here by sunset, or you compromise your privilege of receiving your rank," Blood said, her gaze shifting to the rising sun through the small gaps between the swaying saltwillow leaves. The other five Alphas stood beside her. The tension in the air was so thick that it could've been sliced with a claw. Every set of eyes was on Blood, awaiting her command.

"Let the Bane Trials begin!"

It took a moment for the words to be comprehended. Then, utter chaos broke out.

Like a dam breaking, chromaveins streamed from the saltwillow sanctuary, down the steep gradual towards the dawn-painted village below. Tempest summoned the wind, cushioning each nimble leap from rock to rock. The water-veins, obviously, were in the lead, as they were accustomed to slippery surfaces. Meanwhile, the earth-veins lumbered at a slower pace, saving their energy for their greatest advantage: strength.

It didn't take long for Tempest to reach the town. Most of its inhabitants seemed to be asleep, and it wasn't hard to slip stealthily across the clay streets. It was a strange place to live, all the roads and houses tilting away from the sea below.

Few people were out and about at this hour. Only once, an elderly man shuffled by slowly with his scruffy dog. Tempest had swung into an alleyway, hoping that he'd not seen her. Other than that, the only sign of life was the occasional flash of color from another recruit.

This is perfect. If we all stay quiet, we can each sneak in and out with an animal. Everybody passes the test; nobody gets hurt. It's a win-win. But that, of course, was wishful thinking.

Soon enough, Tempest recognized the energy that charged the air before a storm. As if on cue, thunder rumbled in the distance, and the perfect morning was smothered by black clouds that rolled in from over the north. Soon, the townspeople will awake, and my chance will be gone. I've gotta act now. Fools, wanting a heroic capture.