Chapter 7 - Ash

"WHAT were you THINKING?!" Aspen shouted, pacing the floor furiously. They were in the meeting room. Apparently, Aunty H had given Ash away, totally oblivious to her wish to stay secret. She had given Ash a lemon pastry, her favorite, and was now standing and staring up at the ceiling with a smile on her face, obviously proud of herself. But the pastry tasted like dust in Ash's mouth.

"I was THINKING I'm fed up with being trapped here like some kind of animal," Ash snapped. Birch had been laid on the table, and China and the nurses were cleaning and wrapping his wound. Aspen's ladies-in-waiting, Juniper and Sloe, stood awkwardly to the side, fiddling with the trimming of their dress. They were used to mother and daughter clashing.

"It is most undignified for a lady to know how to sword fight. And your dress! I am absolutely appalled, Ash."

"I know."

"If you would just listen to orders for once- you could've been hurt! What would the people think then?" Aspen said.

"I don't care what 'the people' think!"

"Well, then you're shaping up to be a pretty pathetic Empress. Our empire will fall under your reign," Aspen hissed.

"Maybe I don't want to be an Empress. What if I want to be a knight?"

"You can't be a knight. You're a girl."

"So?"

"So, you have to be the Empress. No ifs, ands, or buts," her mother said flatly.

Ash threw her hands up in frustration. "This is going nowhere."

"Stars, your father will be furious," Aspen cursed quietly. "He'll be here soon. He went to visit his brother in Beechville."

"Lady Empress, your son seems to be fine, but he has lost a lot of blood. Don't let him go into battle or on the training grounds for the next month or so. His arm's been broken," one of the nurses said.

"Make sure he drinks a lot of water," said another nurse, "and we'll be back to check on him tomorrow."

"'He' can hear perfectly fine," Birch said loudly.

"Okay, thank you," Aspen said. The nurses left after bowing. China and Aspen exchanged a look before she left.

"Birch, you can't be getting into fights like this," Aspen said in a displeased voice.

"I know. North got what he deserved," Birch said cheerfully, swinging down from the table and testing his arm, which was in a cast.

"Birch!" Aspen said sharply.

"I- I mean I will never get in a fight again," Birch said, raising his left arm solemnly. Ash saw him crossing his fingers behind his back.

"Thank you. Now, you two should go. You're both in big trouble."

"Oh goody. I try," Birch said, giving an ungraceful little bow.

There was shouting and footsteps outside. All three of them snapped their head around.

North burst into the room, dressed for battle. His face had been cleaned, but he had a huge bruise from Birch punching him in the face. A few soldiers came in after him, panting.

"Ash," he looked at her, worry etched in his face.

"I really don't want to talk to you right now," Ash said.

"It's about my kingdom. It's under attack- Demons," he said.

"No duh. Demons always attack. It's no big deal," Ash said, turning away. One of the soldiers stepped forward, bowing deeply.