Chapter 3 - Ash

"Here she comes," someone said softly as Ash entered the classroom. Her mother had made her go to girls' orchestra anyway. She had hastily thrown on a lilac dress and black leggings, and now she was late.

"Lady Duchess," Lady M (for Mississippi was quite a mouthful) said with a touch of distaste, "you're late."

"I was late. And now I'm here, no?" Ash said cheerfully as, clutching her violin under her arm, she marched through the rows of girls with their various instruments. Lady M gave her an annoyed look.

"Don't let it happen again," she said. She slid in next to the dark-skinned girl from Glore. Named Acacia, I think, she thought, remembering the girl's name. Ash had always wanted such pretty skin, the color of cliffoak, but instead she had drab, grey, as if she was just a sketch that hadn't yet been colored in.

"Hi, Acacia," she gave a small wave. Acacia averted her eyes and said nothing, shuffling over a bit. Feeling a bit hurt, Ash moved into the space.

"C scale please. Very good. Now, let's begin on our warm-up song..." Lady M said. Ash waited for the right time to escape. Her skin was buzzing with edginess, and, over and over, all she could think was, I don't belong here. I don't belong here.

Just as Ash nearly died of boredom, Lady M finally said: "Time to get into groups for your partner project! You have half an hour." The twenty or so girls broke up into their groups. Ash walked towards her partner, Daffodil, who was talking to another girl, Owl. They were laughing and talking, but they went silent when Ash came over. Owl coughed.

"I'm gonna go join my group. I'll come over to your house this afternoon." Owl smiled at Daffodil and swiftly brushed past Ash to leave.

"Wanna run through what we have so far?" Ash asked.

"Sure," Gilda said quietly, not meeting her eyes. She pulled out from a beaten, blue folder a stack of papers, the front few covered in small dots and scratches while the last were blank.

"1- 2- 3- 4-" Daffodil slid onto the leather seat before the piano, which was tucked in the corner of the room. Slowly, she began tapping out notes at a marching pace. After eight counts, Ash joined in, her bow strumming short, clear notes across the strings of her violin. The music twisted like an untamed beast as they perfected each key of the lyrical piece. Each key came naturally to Ash, but she still wished she was out on the training grounds. Her mind wandered, and she began to wonder if North would be disappointed if she didn't show up. She could almost see his sparkling blue eyes.

"Um, Ash, the song is over," Daffodil waved her hand in front of Ash's face.

"Hmm? Oh yeah," Ash realized that she was playing the whole thing over again. "Listen, Daffodil. I need to go. I'll be right back. Just tell Lady M that I'm in the bathroom."

"That's alright. Take your time," she said, looking, to Ash's irritation, relieved. Ash quickly left, speed-walking down the hall, away from the judgment and the resentment. Walking so briskly, she nearly crashed into one of her ladies, Aunty H. She was like a grandma to Ash and many of the servants. No one knew her real name; she was just Aunty H.

"Sorry, Aunty H," Ash apologized, scooting out of the way.

"Oh, it's quite alright. But, Ash dear, where are you going in such a hurry? You'll ruin your dress," tutted Aunty H, sidestepping her.

"I really gotta go, Aunty H." Ash stepped to the other side and darted past her.

"Okay, dear. If you ever get hungry, just stop by the kitchen. I'll ask the cooks to make you a sweet dessert." Her wink made her face appear even more wrinkled.