Chapter 5 - Ash

North staggered back, his hands covering the visor of his helmet. Ash stood in shock, hands covering dropped jaw. North removed his hand, his beautiful face a mess of blood. His eyes were cold- colder than ice from the northern kingdoms. He raised his sword and swung it at Birch, hitting him square in the chest. If not for strong chestplate, Birch would've been skewered.

And, from there, it escalated quickly. While North and Birch battled, swords in hand, Ash screamed at them to stop, but was afraid that either of them would get hurt if she got in the fray. Nearby soldiers began to gather, shouting "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

It was a deadly battle, nothing like the usual play fights and practices. This one was to hurt the other, each at each other's throats. It was like a dance, feet and arms in rhythm, singing a dangerous song.

"You're too proud for your own good." North growled, breathing hard.

"You don't deserve my sister." Birch bit back, lashing out harder.

North was gaining the upper ground, pushing Birch farther towards the down sloping hill. Birch wasn't meant for sword-fighting, and Ash could see him tiring quickly.

"Stop it!" Ash cried for the third time, this time running forward with Combustion in raised. She drove North forward, knocking him back long enough to push Birch out of the way and take his place.

North, moving so fast that his sword wasn't fully caught up on the switch, struck her across the face leaving her whole right side numb. Her helmet wobbled.

"Oh my stars, Ash. I'm so sorry!" He started toward her, but she blocked him with Combustion, sucking in deep breaths. Maybe I've been wrong about him. Maybe Birch is right. And then, she continued the dance that Birch had started, jabbing out with her sword. His eyes sad, North matched her every move, countering get strikes, not nearly as fiercely as before. This gentleness spurred Ash's anger further.

"It's because I'm a girl, right?" She hissed, quiet enough for just him to hear. The built up anger and bitterness poured through her limbs through every slice. "Girls aren't supposed to fight. Girls aren't supposed to be smart. Girls aren't supposed to do anything except sit around all day and look pretty, waiting for their hard-working husbands to return." North's eyes shifted to confusion and hurt.

"I didn't say that!" He protested, and she knew it was wrong to take out her anger on him. But, the feeling of power in her was to great. It felt too good. She didn't even notice the weeds sprouting from the grass, twining around her legs. Or, she didn't care. She moved faster and faster, forcing North back up the hill, nobody else in the world existing. North deflected quicker, refusing to attack her, his jaw set stubbornly. The blood had dried over his face, and he looked more determined than ever.

And then, there was silence. North backed up, eyes wide with horror and fear.

It took her a few seconds to realize that her helmet had been knocked off. Waves of ebony fell apart from her bun and cascaded over her armored shoulders. The weeds around her legs, and now waist, squeezed painfully, scraping her armor with thorns.

"The masked sword master is a- is a girl?" Someone whispered, but the air was so deathly quiet that it came out loud.

"Not just any girl," someone else said, "it's our Duchess." Like a wave, knights got to their knees in a hasty bow.

"Lady Duchess, it isn't safe for you to be out here," said a nervous-looking soldier. "I- I'll have to escort you back, I'm afraid."

"I know!" Ash snapped. "That's what I've been told my whole life. But, does it look like I'm dead?!" The thorny tendrils wrapped around her wrists and chest. An uneasy murmur rippled through the crowd of men.

"Well, no, Your Imperial Highness. But your parents won't be too happy with you," the nervous soldier stuttered. He wrung a grey cap in his hands.

"My parents are never happy with me," Ash said, her voice tight.

"But, Your Majesty-" the same soldier began again, but was cut off.

"Lady Ash, your brother is hurt," a tall man interrupted.

"I'm sorry. I got mad, okay? I- I didn't mean to," North said, trying to take Ash's hand. She pushed past him, weeds ripping from the ground as they clung painfully to her legs.

"It's not that bad," Birch said in a strangled voice, obviously in pain. He winced as Ash carefully removed the armor around his arms. A long gash was along his right arm- his sword arm- and it was placed at an odd angle. His face was pale, and his breath was ragged.

"Someone get a medic. Hurry!" She cried, trying to breath steady, seem confident in front of her people.

"There's no need. She's right here," a voice said from above. Ash's heart sank as she recognized that voice too well. Reluctantly, she pivoted to her left. Behind her, riding a great, black stallion, was China, and she did not look pleased to see Ash here at all.

*Author's Note*

A short but exciting chappie for you! forever_writing_26 -Camo- Kaitlin_DSouza