Chapter One

(fanmade trailer, i do not own. check out her channel after watching!)

Seventeen Months Before

Hayley Evans' Point of View

"Hey Hayley, are you going surfing tonight?" Abbie asked, her voice coming through the speakers.

"Probably, I have to finish the application first, I want to have it perfect for my interview tomorrow." I responded, my eyes not moving from the laptop screen.

"It's almost eleven, Hails. Prime bluffs are going to be in half an hour," she pointed out. "Can't you finish this in the morning?"

I paused, and thought about it.

"Okay, only for a little while." And then I agreed to meet her outside in fifteen minutes.

I didn't wait for her; I immediately started into the freezing water.

The moon above proved to be a reliable source of light, for I was able to navigate the waters easily without my headlamp.

Dad had been droning about that night for weeks, the night where the waves were supposed to be twice as tall as I was.

Of course, Abbie hadn't let me forget it, ether.

I smiled at the thought of night surfing, something I wasn't able to do before because of school [courses I took at night, over at the community college half an hour away], but I had graduated with some sort of credit in English.

My twentieth birthday had passed as well a few days prior, meaning I had received a new board as well as some money, and the anxious but relieving realization that I wasn't a teenager anymore.

The wave was coming; I could feel it then.

My ankle was securely strapped to my beloved board, the same one my Mom had bought me for my birthday, and I looked to our house, where the light flickered three times; a signal from Dad to start paddling.

My oh-so-reliant light to slowly fade away behind dark, stormy clouds. The forecast didn't predict any storms. In fact, it was supposed to be clear until a few days later.

Even though, I kept paddling, my eyes slowly adjusting again. Dad called from shore for me to come back in.

Of course, being the rebel I was, I ignored him.

In the distance, a wave obviously began to build up, until it was an indicator that I should turn around and stand up.

I heard a deep, rumbling boom out in the distance as I finally stood up along side the Goliath of all waves, which startled me enough for my foot to slip.

The plunge caught me off guard. Water swirled around me as my lungs attempted to hold in air. My ears were numb, and all I could hear was the muffled sounds of Goliath trampling me, and the distant sounds of my father.

My arms flailed in panic, searching for the board, doing the exact opposite of what I was taught. When my chest began to feel like it was shrinking, a flash of light surrounded me, and suddenly my world went black, fading into the water.

Surely, that was the point I was supposed to die: If your lungs gave out underwater, you drowned. But as I gave in, I took a deep breath and froze.

Water as traveling in and out of my lungs as oxygen would do. I looked at my hands and see bubbles swirled around my fingertips.

My first thought. I'm dead. I am absolutely dead. So dead that I know that I am dead.

But I'm not.

I swam under water, my vision clear and bright, even though the moonlight was nonexistent. The constricting feeling in my chest was gone. When I poked my head above water, I could see where Abbie and Dad were. I spotted them both on the beach, Abbie going absolutely insane. Dad had his phone out, calling what I presume was 9-1-1.

I tried to scream, but water surrounded my mouth, making it impossible to say a word.

I swam toward the beach as fast as I could, ditching my surf board. They did not have to call 9-1-1.

But as I got closer to shore, my lungs began to constrict until the point where I couldn't breathe.

It tightened and tightened, until I couldn't take it anymore, and I dunked my head underwater again.

I took a breath of water, answering my desperate need.

That's when I realized I couldn't go back to my Dad, or Abbie.

I couldn't go back.

Whatever that flash was, it changed me. And I had no clue what to do.

Hey readers, this is a side project I am working on, so enjoy! This is my first Fan fiction, so don't judge too harshly. Chapter are going to be wicked longer, but I didn't want to put too much in this one so yeah whatever.

Emma