Chapter Thirteen

Abbie Evans' Point of View

Her face seemed to have lifted as we spoke more, and she tried to seem happy. I could see her face paling the longer we talked.

 Cisco [Hayley told me his name] said that we had the entire world to talk and do whatever. Dad came in at one point, and may or may not have had a lowkey panic attack when he saw his dead daughter.

I left them at that point, and then I walked back into the cortex. Barry was sitting at a desk, filling out some paperwork.

"So what is it you even do here?" I asked, causing his head to snap up.

He looked nervous, which confused me. Why should he be nervous?

"I was ... struck by lightning a couple years ago, and S.T.A.R. Labs asked if they could ... study me while I recovered and lived my life."

I tilted my head. "What kind of effects did the lightning have?

I heard a snort from one of the labs, and Cisco quickly darted his eyes.

Dad walked in then, wiping his eyes. He sat down in a chair near the circular door.

"So what now?" He asked Barry Allen. "We leave her here?"

Barry shifted uncomfortably, as did the woman and Cisco.

"We don't know ... " Barry started.

"They don't know much longer I'm going to live." Hayley stated, causing Barry, Cisco, and the woman jump up in panic. She chuckled, and raised her hands up, revealing her cuffs. 

"Don't get your panties in a twist, Cisco." She laughed a little, and I began to think there was something off about her.

Something was wrong about her.

I then began to notice the paleness to the dullness in her eyes.

Oh, no.

They relaxed a little, but Barry stayed standing and slowly inched his way toward her.

"What do you mean how much longer you're going to live?" Dad shot out of his seat. 

"You see, I had to kill many people to stay alive." She said. "And I can't do that anymore. I already am not well."

"Wait a second," I said, holding my hand up. I blinked. "How much longer do you have?"

"We are working ... on a medicine that might replicate the oxygen intakes that she has from other people," The woman explained, not answering me. "We haven't gotten that far, what we are doing is ... "

"You could also stab me with a tube and open up my lung but we all know it's not going to work," Hayley snapped, and Dad flinched almost as bad as I did. "I have a week, tops. That's why I brought you guys here."

I had never heard Hayley like this before, so raw. She had never been an angel, but she never snapped quite that badly, either.

"I brought you here to say goodbye."

I can't lose her. I can't lose her again.

I can't lose her.

"A week, maybe." She shrugged like it was no big deal.

"We can't know for sure," Barry said quickly.

"Well, can't you people do something?" My voice raised. "You are scientists, for crying out loud! You have to be able to do something, anything."

I started to breathe heavier, but I stabilized myself enough to keep going.

"I tried to commit suicide," I exploded. "I thought, for the better part of the last two years, that my baby sister was dead, sleeping with the fishes. And suddenly this very attractive looking so-called scientist comes to the shitty diner I work at, the only place I could even get a job, and tells me that everything I believed was a lie!

"Then I see her dying, which none of you understand the feeling of getting her back only to lose her!"

Barry shifted.

I started to heave, then began to sway a little.

"Hayley!" A voice screamed, and it didn't register as my own until Hayley's face was inches from mine. I had collapsed onto the floor.

And everything slowly faded into blackness.

- Short chapter, I know. But it's something. -

- VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE. EAT A BIGMAC. -