Chapter 8

Author's Note: Okay, here you go!! Chapter 8. I hope you guys like it, I worked hard! Please let me know what you think!!

----------------------------------------

*Alkaline Insanity*

                There was a hand gently caressing my forehead, and I soon became aware that I was held in someone's arms. I struggled to open my eyes; my mind was still foggy from the previous lack of oxygen. The first thing I saw was Ghoul's pale face. His mouth broke into a wide grin as he realized that I was awake.

                My mind finally registered what had happened, and I realized I had probably escaped my death by mere seconds. I felt a belated tear leave my eye and travel down my cheek. Ghoul moved his thumb to my face and gently wiped the tear away.

                "It's okay, Aly. Everything’s okay. They're dead, all of them." He said reassuringly. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself and sat up slowly, still in Ghoul's arms. I started to stand too, but he held me there for a moment, staring into my eyes. I though I saw him move his face toward mine ever so slightly, but he quickly looked away, releasing his grip on me.

                I blushed slightly, but Ghoul was still looking at the floor so, luckily, he didn’t notice my cheeks burning a bright pink. I slowly moved to stand, glancing over the damage done by the dracs. Ghoul did the same. A few of the windows had cracks in them, and one had completely shattered. But other than that, the building seemed to have come out of the battle mostly unscathed.

                "Wait..." I started slowly. "So if the dracs were here, then what are Poison and Kobra and Jet going to find out there?" 

                "We should call them." Ghoul said. "But if we could handle this ambush, I’m sure they’ll be fine to handle whatever’s out there. Seeing as they’re three able bodied guys and we’re a cripple, a girl and a kid.” He gave me a half smile and I playfully rolled my eyes at his description of us.

                “They at least need to know what happened and that we’re okay.” I responded. Ghoul nodded his head in agreement and I went to find the walkie talkie.

                I walked to the table where the walkie had been sitting just a short time before, but it was gone. I searched thoroughly on the floor and in the booths nearby but it was nowhere to be found. 

                "Missile?" I called, acknowledging her for the first time since I woke up. "Have you seen the walkie anywhere?" She only stared back at me with a guilty expression in response. "Where is it?" I pressed. I was starting to get anxious. She stood up from her position on the floor and walked a few feet from where I was standing. She picked up a black object off the floor and placed it in my hands.

                It was a misshapen lump of melted wires and black plastic. It took me a moment to realize what it was. It was a mangled and melted version of the walkie talkie.

                "It wasn't my fault, I swear!" She said quickly, and I believed her. Ray gun shots had been flying everywhere, and it was a wonder that none of us had gotten shot, minus the graze on my arm, which I now remembered was bleeding. But it’s better the walkie get hit than any of us.

                I sighed deeply, closing my eyes and tossing the now-mangled walkie in the general direction of Ghoul. I opened my eyes to see him catch it with his left hand, but grimace as he did. He had only been shot yesterday, and I was quite surprised he was even able to use his arm.