Chapter 7

Apparently Eliam's idea of a "good time" included half-naked men dancing to Beyonce's Drunk In Love and collecting money from their onlookers, drunk men and women alike, and a bartender with the world's most prominent lisp. I'd invited Greg and by the time Eliam told us where we were going it was too late for any of us to back out. Roman was all for the plan.

"Gay clubs are the shit, Sam. Lighten up a bit." He shouted to me. We were walking across the school's lawn and so far no one had spotted us. I had to consciously remind myself that it was too dark for anyone to see us so I didn't freak out. I could feel the panic rising so I moved over to where Eliam was walking. He made me feel calm.

Roman focused his attention on Greg, a light smile on his face.

"I'm glad you came, Greg... really." Greg stared at the ground, watching his feet, but a I could see he was smiling and his cheeks were flushed.

We fell into a comfortable silence and the only interruption was when Eliam told us that we were close to the club.

"Okay," I spoke up. "How do you know where this club is? Or should I ask this, why the fuck do you know where a gay bar is?"

"Club." Eliam corrected me, but he was laughing softly. "They only serve beer there so it's not technically a bar. I know where it's at because in the summer my parents are never home and all three of my sisters are married so I'm always home alone. I usually just go around the city and find cool places to hang out at. Most times I stay home, but the people at this club are really nice so I come here a lot." I could understand not wanting to be alone. Being alone sucked ass.

The campus came to an end when the road started to come into view. Cars zoomed by and the lights of the city were blinding. I shielded my eyes as we crossed the street, running. Restaurants and small businesses were set up along the length of the street and cars were parked all throughout their parking lots.

"There it is." Eliam pointed to the furthest building in the long line of them. A glowing neon sign on the roof read GeGe's Men. I tried not to gag at the name. Eliam had told me these people were nice and so far he'd had a good sense of judgement about things. He led the way, adjusting the straps of his messenger bag. I shoved my hands into my hoodie pockets and followed him.

"Why?" Was all I said as I got in stride next to him. He turned to me and smiled, a soft genuine smile.

"I only want you to meet some of the people inside. These guys are some of my best friends. I can't have my friends not knowing each other." When he saw that I was still unsure he took my hand and held it.

"I'm just not good with huge crowds." I whispered, not looking at him. My eyes darted from one thing to another. The glowing sign on top the building, the swarm of birds flying over us, I looked at anything but him. Eliam nodded and squeezed my hand. Our shoulders were pressed against one another and my head was leaning on his shoulder slightly.

"Look at me." I did. His eyes gazed down at mine, softening. "I'll hold your hand the whole time. I won't let you out of my sight. If things get too loud just tell me and we'll leave." I looked down, a blush creeping up from my neck onto my cheek. He leaned in, his nose touching mine. "I promise."

"Okay." My voice was quiet I could barely even hear it, but Eliam seemed pleased. He squeezed my hand again and we walked into Gege's.

Gege's was, well, loud if not anything else. Obnoxiously pink as well, but that wasn't the worst thing.

Three guys stood on this huge platform in the middle of the room, wearing nothing but tight, green shorts and a small tie around their neck. Occasionally one would hop off the platform and seduce some wrinkly old guy into a backroom. Imagining Eliam here during the summer hanging out with these people was almost impossible.