Chapter XXI

"How is she doing?" Patricia whispered, her eye peeking through the crack in the door.

He mother shook her head. "She seems okay. But I'm not sure."

Frances and Harriet giggled inside the bedroom.

"She's keeping busy, at least," Mrs. Barrett continued. "But that's only occupying the surface of her thoughts. Everything else is still wrapped up in her time with the Fellowes family."

"I assume that Father and the boys haven't noticed?"

"I'm sure Andrew has, but you know how much he avoids talking about such things. Besides, I wouldn't ask him to do anything. He's only thirteen years of age."

"Yes, don't get him involved. It would just put Frances on a stage with attention she probably doesn't want." Patricia sighed. "I just wish I knew what to do."

Frances could feel their gaze on her. Patricia's blue eyes nearly glowed in the dark anyways. But she ignored them. They could talk about her all they wanted. It was a family's right, to worry and whisper. They were only looking out for her.

"Harriet, do you prefer the white shoes or the ivory ones?" She held up the two pairs.

Harriet looked at her through the mirror on her vanity. "I thought I had chosen the blue ones? You know, for my 'something blue'."

"No, remember, you decided on the blue rose on your gloves."

"Oh, right." She turned around on her bench. "Well, what about the white ones Amelia wore on her wedding day? I always liked those." She turned back to her vanity.

Frances shook her head. "Those were nice, but she spilt wine on them."

Harriet's brows shot up and she held up a pair of earrings to her ears. "Really? Amelia?"

Frances chuckled. "I know. And to think, after all those months of crazy planning and driving us all up the wall, she ends up ruining her shoes the day of."

"So what are my choices again?"

"The white ones from Patricia's wedding, and my ivory ones."

Harriet shrugged. "Whichever ones match the dress."

Frances held them up to the white wedding dress hanging from the curtain rod at the window. "I think the white ones match better. Next to the dress, the ivory ones just look old and dirty."

"The white ones it is then."

Patricia shook her head and quietly shut the door. "You'd never guess... She seems quite content. It is almost a shame we know her so well and can tell that something isn't quite right. If she knew that we didn't know, it might be easier for her to leave it all behind. But every time we show our concern, she is reminded of her time in Malborrow Creek."

"Maybe she needs time," Mrs. Barrett said. "She needed time to get past Owen's death, and she seems to have moved on for the most part from that."

"Yes, but she had a personal distraction: the Fellowes family. Here, nothing is happening to her. Her emotions aren't caught up in anything."

Patricia sighed. "I should probably head out. I'm expected home within the hour."

With a hug, she left, careful to step quietly on her way down the stairs.

When Frances reemerged from the room hours later, she found her mother in the parlor. "Still working on the house?" she asked, nodded towards the embroidery on the sofa.