Chapter V

The midday sun beat down on Frances’s head and the wind blew strands of hair into her face. She brushed them away and continued on towards Julian’s workshop. It was the first time she had a chance to visit the shop. There was simply too many things to do in the house. 

When Julian had announced that morning that there were too many orders to complete and that he would not be joining them for dinner, Frances decided to bring dinner to him. It wasn’t good to miss a meal simply due to lack of time. On the large metal dinner plater in her hands, was a slice bread, a handful of diced carrots, and two pieces of cold chicken breast. Gertrude, one of the red hens, had gotten her foot stuck in the fencing and, panicking, broke it in half. Julian thought it better to simply end it then try to fix it or dull the pain. So, the night before, they had warm juicy chicken. It was just as good cold.

Frances poked her head into the workshop. Julian sat at one of the tables, sanding down a small square board of wood. The cover was etched with beautiful carvings. Julian looked up, his face shined with perspiration and he squinted against the sun. 

“Yes?”

Frances held up the platter. “I’ve brought you dinner. Where should I put it?”

Julian glanced down at the meal. “Um...I can take it.” He got to his feet and Frances handed him the platter. He turned back to his worktable but it was cluttered with wood shavings and carvings. He stared down at the tabletop for a few moments, realizing that he hadn’t thought it through.

Frances laughed and carefully cleared a space for the platter.

“It’s very beautiful.” Frances pointed to the board once Julian has placed the platter down. “What is it for?”

Julian handed it to her. “For Winnie and Jem. It’s the cover of the box I promised them. For their coins.” 

Frances stared down at the carvings, her eyes wide and her mouth loose. It was exquisite. The edges were framed by a border of soft cloud like curves. At the top, in elegant cursive, was written “Winnie & Jem”. Beneath it was written:

Chase your dreams and you will find

All your cares are left behind

“It’s beautiful,” Frances said handing it back. 

Julian shrugged but his pride in his work was clear. “I still need to attach the hinges and paint it, but I think they’ll be pleased with the final result.”

“They’ll be ecstatic.” She shook her head playfully. “And here I was, thinking that you had orders to complete.”

The smile fell from Julian’s face. “Um, well. I’m not taking as many orders as I was.”

“Oh? Really?” Frances smiled softly, hoping to retain a bit of the friendliness that had suddenly gone cold.

“Yes.” Julian turned away and sat in front of his dinner. He picked up his fork and looked up at her expectantly. He wanted to be alone. He was waiting for her to leave.

For a moment, Frances considered following his silent wishes, but she drew back her shoulders and puffed up her chest. Julian did intimidate her with his hidden reasons and the secrets behind his eyes, but she wouldn’t run off like a guilty thief. Not yet, in any case. 

“I actually have something to ask of you,” Frances said. The moment the words came out, her confidence waned. Acting haughty wasn’t how one got the reply they wished for...or any reply at all.

Julian did not move, his gaze unwavering, his eyes blank. Frances took his expression as one of consent. At least he wasn’t tell her to leave with more than his expression.