Chapter IX

Frances pushed open the door to post office and the little bell rang out. The post master quickly looked her way before turning back to his current customer.

The last two times she had been in town, there had been nothing for her. No news from her family. She had still sent her letters to them, but worry gnawed at her mind. Why had none of them taken the time to write?

The lady at the counter thanked the post master and turned towards the door. At the sight of Frances, she ducked her head and high-tailed it for the door, nearly bowling over Frances. 

Frances sighed and walked up to the counter. 

“And what can I do for you today, miss?” the post master asked. His smile was friendly as always and his thick mustache quivered. Out of all the store owners in town, Mr. Blake was her favorite. After her first arrival to his store when he’d been quiet and confused, he had become quite friendly despite the talk of the townspeople. 

“Has anything come in for me?” Frances asked.

Mr. Blake chuckled. “I’ll have myself a look.” He leaned down below the counter and rustled through the packages and stacks of letters piled on the shelves. “I can imagine you’re anxious for a letter. What has it been? A month since your last one?” 

“A bit over. Ju--Mr. Fellowes hasn’t been able to come into town that often.”

“I’ve noticed...I’ve not seen any of you in some time.”

Frances folded her hands and leaned over the counter. “Is it there? Has something come?”

Mr. Blake chuckled. “Just give me a moment, miss.” 

A moment later he stood up, a wrinkled envelop in hand. Frances lunged for it but quickly pulled her hand back. 

Mr. Blake laughed. “Anxious, aren’t you?”

Frances nodded and bit her lip. The postmaster laughed again and handed her the envelop. She ripped it open and unfolded the letter gently. Before she could concentrate on the words, the bell chimed and a large lady dressed in a gaudy gold dress walked in. She turned her nose up at Frances and walked straight to the counter. Frances stepped out of her way and leaned agains the wall. Ignoring the new arrivals shrill voice and taking a deep breath, she let her eyes devour the words etched onto the thick paper. 

Dear Frances,

Do we have news for you! Harriet’s beau proposed! He asked your only a few days after I sent the last letter, and he proposed only a few weeks afterwards. Of course Harriet accepted and as they are planning to have their wedding near the end of summer, we have been in a frenzy ever since they announced the news. 

Harriet has dress fittings nearly every week and is looking to purchase an entire wardrobe for her honeymoon and married life afterwards. She has barely been at home and I doubt she sees her new fiance half as much as the dress fitter and hat maker. But she’s happy and it is obvious that the two of them love each other.

Amelia has been helping all she can as she can remember her wedding the best and remembers the trials and errors that plagued her. But she is slowly growing and her ever expanding belly is beginning to get in the way. And with her new home still in a bit of a state of incompleteness, she does not have half as much time to help as we all wish she did.

Patricia has nearly moved in with us with all the time she is spending here. She brings her children with her and Carolina is always underfoot, asking to help and begging for scraps of lace and ribbons. She is a good girl, but Patricia is looking a little worn.