Chapter Two

The next morning, I got up as the sun was coming out and went to my dresser and pulled out a tight fitting skirt, it didn't look tight, but it allowed me to move more freely in case anything happened. I also pulled on a gray tank top and a black and gray stripped cardigan and a gray scarf, as I knew I would need it. I pulled on my black boots and then finally, I brushed my long black hair and twisted it up into a messy bun on top of my head, and put a navy blue headband in.

I grabbed my bag and walked to my door and then into the living room to wait on my brother. Finally, 15 minutes later, he came out with his bag and gunnysack. "And it takes women a long time to get ready." I said, shaking my head. We walked out the door, I went to the stables and got my horse out and then we walked down to the port, where I could hear a similar voice. "Personally, I think he's filthy, rude and a complete scoundrel. I don't like him one bit."

"Anyone I know?" My brother asked, with me trailing behind him. "Oh... Um... Hello." She said. "And this is Aaliyah Massari, my-" He got cut off, as I got noticed. "Aaliyah!?" I just then noticed the woman was Evelyn Carnahan, my cousin. Well, I be dammed, it was a small world after all. "Ali!" Jonathan said. "Hi Jon." I said. "You know them?" My brother asked. "Yes, they're distant cousins of mine on my father's side. "And how do you know him?" Evy asked. I gave a small smile. "Remember that brother I mentioned?" I asked, continuing when she nodded. "Well this is him, Rick." I said, patting my brother's shoulder. She then just looked speechless.

It wasn't until a few years ago that my mother and I pieced together that they were distant cousins of mine. We asked around and learned that my grandfather's, aunt was only half Medjai, never living in the tribe, but instead, raised by her father and stepmother. Don't ask how we found out, it took a while, it was covered up pretty good, considering her father wasn't Medjai at all.

Jonathan grabbed my brother's arm and shook his hand. "Smashing day for the start of an adventure, eh, O'Connell?" He asked. My brother quickly searches around his pockets, "Yeah, sure, smashing." He said, and relaxes as he pulls out his wallet, and then putting it back in. I then tune the boys out as I looked over the water, watching as some smaller boats went past, I turned back to everyone as Evy starts talking.

"Mister O'Connell, can you look me in the eye, and guarantee me this is not some sort of flimflam? Because if it is, I'm warning you –" Evy starts off and I shook my head, sighing, knowing my brother would not like what she was saying, and I was right. He got closer and stared straight at her, and she didn't back away or flinch, I was impressed. "You're warning me? Lady, my whole damn garrison believed in it so much, that without orders, we marched halfway across Libya and into Egypt to find that city. All we found was sand and blood. I'll take your bags." He said, reaching down to get them and then walked onto the boat.

Jon turned to look at Evy. "Yes, yes, you're right, filthy, rude, a complete scoundrel, nothing to like there at all." He said, and Evy shot him a glare, and he just grins at her. "It's good to see you two." I said, hugging each of my cousins, but I need to go find my brother." I said, walking up the gangplank and onto the boat, and leading my horse to the stables onboard that was supplied.

Later that night, on my way to the barge to join Evy, my messenger bag still over my shoulder, I saw Jonathan playing poker with the Americans, rolling my eyes, I hit him in the head on my way past, and smiled to myself when I heard him complain. "Ow! Aaliyah, what was that for?" he asked, I just ignored him as I walked over to Evy and leaned with my back against the rails. "How's it been going?" I asked her. She gave me a soft smile. "Pretty good I suppose, the curator tried to stop me from going on this trip though." She said, turning to look at the water once more. I realized just then the curator had to be part of the Medjai order, from what was instilled in me, only they-we, were like that.