Chapter Eleven

Day 6: Part 1:

We ended up traveling most of the night. For the most part, we were all quiet which left me alone in silence to gather my thoughts together.

'Baba' I thought, 'If only you could see me right now, what in the world would you say?' I sighed inwardly. I missed my father, more than I had ever thought before, sure, I was only a child, but I missed the simplicity of being a kid in the tribe, and I missed the way my father kept me safe, never putting me in harm's way. I had even made him check outside the tents and around the corners of my sleeping areas to make sure that there were no monsters around—in fact—I demanded this of him, refusing to sleep until he did so. Baba, amused, did all of these, and after reassuring me that it was indeed safe, put me to sleep with old stories of a time long ago, before I was born, before he was born even, of our people.

I often did find myself wondering what would've happened if my father had still lived. Would my mom still have left? Would she have left me? I quickly shook those thoughts away. 'No, she only left because baba died. She truly did love him, she said she only stayed in the tribe for him.'

I silently studied Ardeth. Now, surely I would have been married to him if my father had never been killed. And to be quite honest, I'm not sure how I felt about that. I'm sure that he was a great guy and everything, I mean, I've known him since we were both children, and he wasn't bad looking in my opinion, which was a plus. But I'm not sure I could be as brave as my mother was, and stay somewhere I didn't want to be for a man.

Sure, my fondest and earliest memories was of the tribe, so much has changed since I was a child, I wasn't willing to be cooped up somewhere like that, and I barely practiced their religion anymore, not really, with the head coverings of the teenage girls and adult women, and much like my brother, I didn't really like being told what to do, I was my mother's daughter after all, but I was also my father's daughter, which meant, I did have pride over where I come from and of my heritage, or the values and the traditions that was instilled in me since before I could even talk.

Even though those things ran through my blood, I still valued my independence, so I don't think that I could ever settle down like my mother had once decided to, even if I did have feelings for Ardeth. It wouldn't happen.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by my brother's voice. "Alright, we need to find a car, and we need to visit a friend of mine." Jonathan was nowhere in sight.

I eyed my brother, warily. Usually, he only mentioned said friends when he needed something out of them. "Really? What are you dragging us into this time?"

I knew my brother, the only time that he ever drug me with him to see his friends if he was dragging me on yet another adventure. I thought it was supposed to be the younger sibling who was supposed to annoy the hell out of the older, not the other way around?

He shrugged. "Oh, nothing much." I rolled my eyes and decided not to press that any further. Truthfully, I really didn't want to know.

"Is he always like this?" Ardeth asked me, in a whisper.

I nodded slowly. "Welcome to my world."

It wasn't long before my cousin came back, driving a car. "Okay fellas, hop in." I didn't even ask where in the world my cousin got the car, I figured it best that I didn't know anything about it. We all piled in, Rick getting in the passenger's seat and started directing Jonathan on where to go. We eventually started slowing down.

"Down that road." Rick instructed, and Jonathan nodded, turning, we drove down a long—well, sandy—road with a building, some tents and an airplane hangar just sitting about, and a 6 passenger airplane sitting off to the side. I just sighed, knowing what my brother was thinking. Figures.