Chapter One: Day One

Sitting in the cold, plastic chair, reality hit Louis making tears rush down his face.

He was getting admitted into the mental hospital.

The young teenager has struggled with depression since he was 8 years old and he has finally hit rock bottom.

One day ago, Thursday June 18th, 2014 he tried to commit suicide and failed. That's why he is sitting in this plain white office with his family and a therapist who just finished telling him he was being admitted into the hospital.

"I will step out into the hallway to let you say goodbye to your family and I will be back in about 15 minutes to take you upstairs." As the nice women stood up and walked out the door she gave a kind, reassuring smile to Louis.

He turned to his parents that were sitting against the plain wall in the same, hard chairs he was sitting in. He tried to stop his tears for the sake of his mom and dad but as soon as he saw the look on their face, he broke down.

Louis was pretty small compared to other 16 year old boys so when he climbed into his stepdads lap, he looked so broken and small compared to the large man he called dad. His mom softly rubbed his back as they all cried together.

After about five minutes of that he climbed off of the mans lap and turned to the only other person left in the room, Lottie. They had left the other siblings at home with their neighbors knowing that they were to young to understand but they brought Lottie along because her and Lou have always been the closest, so he knew this was gonna be the hardest for him.

"I love you Lou, remember that." Lottie mumbled to Louis while they hugged, not wanting to let go and leave each other.

"Please don't leave me here. I want to go home." Louis cried, knowing he needed this and they weren't gonna turn back.

"You know I can't do that baby. I love you so much and I want you to know that. But remember," she said pulling away and looking him in the eyes "as soon as you feel better you can come home. So work hard for me and learn all the things you can. I know this is hard but we know you can do it. You are a very strong boy." Louis nodded and mumbled that he would.

The door slowly cracked open and the therapist, named Karen popped in, smiling sadly.

"It's time to go up to your room Louis. I will take you up and since it is so late, you won't start until tomorrow. I will just take you straight to your room and you can meet your roommate. Then you have to stay in your room until tomorrow." Louis nodded, struggling to keep the tears in.

He turned to his family and gave them each one last hug before turning to Karen and walking out of the office. The door shut and they were off, toward the stairs to take him to his new home for a while. Karen made small talk with Louis but he wasn't really paying attention. All he could think about was his family and who his roommate was going to be like.

"I work with your roommate too, his name is Harry. He is a very nice young boy and I think you will like him. He is a bit closed off though, it's hard to get to know him sometimes. He has been here for a while so he might be able to show you around." Karen said, catching Louis attention. They finally reached the doors to the 'young adults unit' as Karen called it. When she pushed them back Louis wasn't too shocked at what he saw. A bunch of white walls and white doors. Their was a desk to his right, also a hallway filled with doors that had numbers on them. They walked up to the desk and Karen told him all about the schedule and what was allowed into his room and what wasn't. Basically nothing was allowed into his room and they had a very strict schedule during the week.

"Since you are going to start tomorrow and it is a Saturday, the schedule isn't as strict. You have to come out of your rooms at 9 am and meet in your group rooms. You're in group A which meets in that room" Karen said pointing to a large room to his left that was filled with 2 couches, a few chairs, book shelves filled with books and movies, small tables in the corner with chairs around them and a very old-school tv. "You will meet there every morning and throughout the day. Tomorrow all you guys are doing is going down to the cafe to eat and hanging out in the lounge. Then you have room time where you can shower, hang out with your roommate, read, or sleep. After room time you have visiting hour where you can visit with family or make phone calls. Okay? I'll take you to your room now." Louis nodded following behind Karen as she walked down the plain white hallway to a door. She knocked on the door and walked in.

There was a curly headed boy sitting on his bead looking out of the window. Louis noticed that the blinds were on the outside and their was a small, black switch you had to turn to open and close them. When they walked in the curly headed boy, named Harry as Karen said earlier turned to look at the two.

"Harry this is Louis. He is your new roommate. Now you won't have to be alone since John left. Talk to him." Karen said and patted Louis back. "I'm going to head back to my office Louis. That's your bed and I hope you have a nice sleep." Karen said pointing to a wooden bed with a rock hard mattress on it, white sheets covering it with a thin blanket and one uncomfortably looking pillow. He nodded at Karen and tried to give her a friendly smile, but failed.

Karen softly closed the door as she walked out and Louis was left alone with the stranger named Harry.

"H-Hi I'm Louis." Louis said, his voice cracking.

"Yeah I heard. I'm Harry. Why are you here?" Harry said, after no reply he continued, "Sit down we might as well get to know each other. We are gonna be roommates for who knows how long."

Louis walked over to the plain bed in the middle of the room and sat down, confirming that it is as uncomfortable as it looks. He looked at Harry who was sitting against the wall under his blanket on the bed that was the farthest away from the door.

"Uh I'm here cause I tried to commit suicide." Louis spoke quietly. "You?"

"I'm here for the same thing but also drug use." Harry said, shocking Louis. Harry didn't look like someone who used drugs.

The rest of the night was filled with questions that weren't to personal. Every time Louis asked a personal question, Harry avoided it. Eventually Harry said he was tired and flipped the lights off.

"Goodnight Louis." Harry said, Louis mumbling a 'night' back.

That night Louis didn't get any sleep, he didn't expect to though. He had to stay very still because he was afraid he was going to wake Harry with the noisy mattress.

He just stared at the white walls, hoping he would be able to leave soon.

Words: 1408 (most ever!)

A/N I'm so excited to start this book. I am going to use my experiences from when I was in the hospital. I didn't fall in love there but I did become close with one of my roommates. This is going to kind of be based on what happen when I was there but other stuff will be added that didn't happen to me.

OKAY BYE LOVE YOU GUYS!

Oh and that's what he looks like. In the picture Louis is eighteen but he is sixteen in the story. Harry is 18 in the story. I know that he probably should be in the adult unit but we will pretend you have to be twenty to be transferred to the adult unit.