Chapter 1

Screams echoed through the camp. Even the heaviest sleepers were awoken. Everyone stumbled out of their cabins onto the cool grass. Everyone except the person causing the screams: Percy Jackson. It was 2 a.m. and Percy was having another nightmare. It was his first night back at camp after the giant war. The seven (or now six) had all been greeted as the Heroes of Olympus after they defeated Gaea. Percy had seemed off, however. Annabeth and Percy were both left in a horrible mental state after Tartarus, but Percy had it worse. He blacked out a lot and woke up screaming every night. The cabins onboard the Argo II had been soundproofed, so no one knew the last part.
Annabeth came out of her cabin with her blond curls in a mess and sleep in her eyes. She ran over to the Poseidon cabin and walked through the unlocked door. What she saw brought tears to her eyes. Percy was drenched in sweat, thrashing around and screaming his head off. The blankets were tangled at his feet. Annabeth hated to see him in so much pain. She ran over and shook him. "Percy, Percy wake up. Please Percy wake up!" She cried. He didn't even stir. She yelled louder, and still got no response. She glanced over at the fountain on the far wall of his cabin and was struck with an idea. She cupped a small amount of water in her hands and splashed it on Percy's face. It was enough. He bolted up and looked around frantically. "Percy," Annabeth said, "I'm here. You're in your cabin at camp. We are safe." He looked at her realization slowly creeping into his eyes. He pulled Annabeth close and hugged her. She kissed his cheek. "You're okay Seaweed Brain. You got us out." He looked at her. "Was I screaming?" He asked. She nodded slowly. "But it's alright. We understand." He moaned and laid back down, releasing his grip on Annabeth. "Darn it," he mumbled. "Percy, how long has this been going on?" Annabeth asked with worry creeping into her voice. "Since we got out," he whispered. Tears once again filled Annabeth's eyes. "Oh Seaweed Brain," she said, "I'm so sorry." She wrapped her arms around him and pulled him close. After a few seconds he returned the embrace. They lay there, linked in each other's arms until the sun peeked through the window.