5. Crushed

I was in the state that was half between a dream but also half awake when memories from last last night pounded their way into my head one after another. I jumped a mile, nearly falling out of bed and onto the floor. I grabbed onto the closest thing I could find- Dante. His eyes shot opened and he, without even thinking about grabbed my arm and pulled me back up.

Neither of us said anything though. I sat perfectly still, clutching the blanket to my chest, not sure what I was supposed to do now, what was I supposed to say? Although I knew the answer to my question I asked it anyway, hoping it would end the silence. "Did we...?"

"Oh yeah." Dante wasn't looking at me and I couldn't get myself to look up at him. This was my first one night stand, the first time I had sex with anyone who wasn't Nick.

Okay Sky, you really need to get over that slimy piece of sh!t, I scolded myself.

Last night was filled with too many emotions. We were both vulnerable, and just took our anger out on each other... at least there was no crying. Even though last night was far better than anything I'd ever experienced before, I still in a way regretted it.

"Please tell me we used protection." I begged in a quiet voice, trying to mask how groggy I really sounded. The voice that escaped my lips sounded nothing like me.

Dante looked at me for the first time all morning and my head involuntary turned around to face him. I just stared with wide eyes as his hand came down on the bed. He picked up a wrapper and said, "Apparently."

Okay that was a plus, right? Everyone has something like this happen to them at least once in their life. I wasn't an exception.

"I should go." Today was the wedding and as much as I didn't want to go to that, it definitely beat sitting naked in his bed in awkward silence.

I was desperate for a shower, so I tried to quickly but gracefully get dressed and out of there. My makeup was smudged across my face, my hair must've been a mess, and I had broken into this disgusting cold sweat.

"I'll see you around." It sounded more like a question than a sentence.

"Yeah and good luck with your," He was struggling for words. "Family problems." That also sounded like a question.

I left then, clutching my heels in one hand and squeezing the key to my hotel room in the other.

How come we were able to act like good old friends at night? We were able to have fun and not care about anything or anyone but each other. It was comfortable at night, but the minute morning came around everything changed. I had no idea what to say to him and he apparently felt the same way.

The entire way back downstairs to my room, I couldn't help but replay the events of last night. The way he excitedly nodded his head when I offered we go up to his room, the way I tripped as we sped through the lobby, the way he picked me up and held me bridal style until we got in the elevator. A smile crept up on my face as I thought about how completely casual we acted on the elevator, and how the old couple who was on it with us didn't suspect a thing. Then my cheeks began to heat up as I remembered how that civilized front completely went out the window the very second he unlocked the room door to his massive suite.

Dante had picked me up effortlessly and pinned me against the wall, my memory of last night was sharp, it was crystal clear, and I remembered exactly how his–

My thoughts were interrupted by the sight of my mother in my room, frantically going through my things. "Where were you?" She demanded. "You disappeared yesterday without telling anyone a thing, and by the time we got back to the hotel you were gone. Do you know what you put me through, Skyla? You may be twenty two years old, but that doesn't give you the right to completely disregard my feelings and do something like that."