34. Lost

I'm supposed to be doing homework right now but... nah I'm not in the mood. Tomorrow is the last day of school before February vacation!!!!! I'm so excited!

***

Dante

I was in the middle of taking a shower when my phone rang. I didn't answer it at first because the water was hot, and calming. I needed to relax.

But then it rang a second time, which was followed by many texts. My phone would not stop ringing.

I thought it was Silvio. I haven't seen or heard from him since we left. I didn't have anything to say to him. I already told him what I had to say. He didn't like any of it, but his arm was f@cked up so he couldn't do anything about it.

I stepped out of the steaming shower and wrapped a towel around my waist. The texts and calls were from Jade.

Sean was the first thing that came to mind. That's all we had in common anymore, even though I'd see her almost every day at the hospital. We didn't talk about Skyla.

But then I opened her messages.

Call me asap

He got Skyla

Dante wtf is wrong with you!! I think something happened. She was screaming

Call me right f@cking now! I don't care about ur past with her. you need to help

Skyla. Skyla was in trouble. She was screaming?

I didn't call Jade back. Instead I put on the first thing my hands touched, and ran up to her room.

The door was left open, blood was on the floor. I walked in farther. She had bags on her bed that were only half packed. The lock on the bathroom door was broken. Everything was thrown around.

My heart stopped. How could I have just left her? How could I have been so stupid? Most importantly, why was she still here? She was supposed to leave, not stay.

The bracelet I gave her for Christmas was on the night table. In very neat handwriting on one of the hotel's pads of paper was a note. If you want her then come and get her. That's all it said. That was it. The bracelet was placed on top.

Skyla didn't take off the bracelet. She still wore it even after we broke up. She was wearing it at the bar, at the mall, and in the basement. I remember because it stabbed me the night we had sex. We both laughed it off afterwards.

Skyla's phone was thrown on the bathroom floor. It's screen was cracked, but it did turn on. That wouldn't help me. Or at least I thought it wouldn't.

But then I realized that she had talked to Nick. What number was he using when he called her last week? If he was stupid, and I was lucky he would still have the phone on him. I needed to track the number.

Jade was calling me again. I answered this time.

"Damn it Dante! What's wrong with you? I've been trying to–"

"She's not here." I breathe, trying to restart my heart. I've been through alot in my life. I've gotten shot, and kidnapped. I've killed people, I've been chased by people who wanted to kill me, and I even walked in on my father f@cking one of his whores. Never have I been this scared. This lost. I didn't know what to do. My brain wasn't working.

"We were on the phone and she said something about Nick being there. She said she needed help then I heard her scream and a bang then the call ended." Jade was practically in tears.

"What do you mean a bang?" If they hurt her I would kill them. If they shot her... I didn't allow myself to finish the thought.

"Not like a gun. Just like something was thrown." Jade explained. "You need to help her Dante. Nick has her. He obviously wants some kind of revenge."

Of course I was going to help her. "Go to the hospital." I said to Jade. It was the safest place I could think of at the moment.

"I'm going with you. I need to help her." She protested.

"No you're not. You're pregnant with my best friend's baby, who is going to wake up one day. He's going to wake up to you guys. And when I get Skyla back she's going to find you safe and sound. Go to the hospital."

Jade didn't say anything. "Hello?" I asked making sure that she was still there.

"Yeah. Ok. I'm going to tell Silvio though." Now I was the one who didn't answer. "Dante, you're gonna need backup."

She was right. "Well I'm not going to wait for them." And with that I hung up.

I didn't know where to look though. The people who took her were long gone, so I went back to my room to get my car keys and a gun.

Where would Nick go? He never revealed his identity. The only reason I knew it was Nick was because Jade had been on the phone with Skyla. The note was left for me. That was obvious.

Jade texted me, letting me know that she made it to the hospital. I continued to drive around. The city was packed with people.

Nick wouldn't stay in the city. There were too many people. Too many witnesses. 

I pulled out Skyla's broken phone. She still had Nick in her contacts. That bothered me for only a fraction of a second.

I swerved around the rest of the traffic trying to make it to Silvio's place. He had an estate in Italy and one here. He also had an appointment that he would stay at on occasion.

He's been stalking Nick for a while. Silvio knew where Nick worked, where he lived, and where his friends lived. It sounds creepy because it is, but you need to keep track of your enemies.

I knew where all his things were. Silvio had an amazing apartment that I would stay in once in awhile when he was in Italy.

I found the files he had on Nick. His apartment was there, along with a few other houses. Hopefully the phone was with him at one of those houses. That would make my job much easier.

I tracked the number down. It was all the way in New Jersey. I didn't recognize the address.

I decided to go. This house was in the middle of nothing. Maybe it was a trap. Maybe he wasn't really there. Maybe she wasn't there.

I didn't know and I didn't care. We had to start somewhere. So I called Silvio and let him know where I was going.

Nick wanted me to go to him. He didn't want to hurt Skyla. He was using her as a hostage.

I needed back up. I needed to get to her. Silvio wanted me to wait for him but there was no time to wait. Nick probably didn't want to hurt her, but he was crazy and would if he had to. I know he would. He told me himself that he'd rather see her dead than with me.

So didn't wait. I drove to New Jersey.