Prologue

The blood of my sister splattered against my fur as I felt her life line snap. The bond was weakening as more and more wolves were murdered. My husband, the alpha, was in the middle of it all, fighting the alpha of our enemy pack. My heart ached, not being able to go and help him. I clawed my opponent across the face and dashed into the big house.

I quickly shifted to my human form and ran up the staircase, grabbing a curtain to wrap around my nude figure. I opened the door to the first room and slammed the window open.

"Mom? What's going on?" My eldest daughter, Daphne, asked worriedly.

Everett and Amabelle sat up groggily. My three children were oblivious to the raging war downstairs. Daphne got past the wall I'd built to protect my thoughts, and she let out a sob.

"Mom, no! I'm staying with you!" She sniffed.

"What's going on?" Amabelle, the youngest, wondered.

"Is everything okay?" Everett looked worried.

I grabbed a sharpie and took my eldest daughter's hand. I scribbled down the address of my father and pushed my three angels to the window. Amabelle and Everett were confused while Daphne was begging me to come with them.

"Go to this address. Don't come back here, understand?" I took Daphne's head between my hands and looked her in the eye.

She nodded numbly and I kissed the top of her head. I could feel her sobs shaking her as I held my daughter in my arms for the last time. I grabbed Amabelle and Everett in my arms and held the three of them close to me, willing myself not to cry. This was the last time I would see them and vice versa.

"Take care of each other," I cried and rushed them out the window.

My children screamed when they saw the war and shifted into three brown wolves, dashing through the trees. Their father smiled when he saw them escape, and fought through to attack another enemy.

"Peek a boo. Found you."

A low voice boomed behind me, and the last thing I saw was my mate's eyes as he was too late to save me. The alpha, their father, my husband. His mossy green eyes locked into mine as the sharp teeth of the enemy pierced my neck, taking my life. My soul parted from my lifeless body and looked down upon the same wolf taking the life of my beloved, who was more than willing to die after seeing me murdered. The Oak Pack was officially killed to extinction.