Chapter Eleven

"Station a few guys around my house—Amabelle and I will stay here for the whole day. Conduct a sweep throughout our territory. Question and or kill any rogue or non-pack member you come across. There is no room for error here, Xav," came the low, murmuring voice of my mate.

My eyes fluttered open and I took in my surroundings, not remembering much from the night before. I was tangled into my mate, laying in a mass of fluffy blankets and feathered pillows. Beau's arm was around me and the other held his phone, which he was softly muttering into so as not to wake me up. A thin red blanket was pulled over the two of us, blocking the chilly air.

Memories came flooding back—seeing the Spruce alpha, fainting, waking up to see Beau furious and Daphne smirking, then Beau claiming me once again. I sat up slightly and propped myself up on my elbow. The blanket dropped and I quickly grabbed it, holding it to my chest. I felt Beau's gaze on me as I ran my fingers through my mussed hair, working out the knots.

"Call me if you guys get anything," Beau ordered before clicking his phone off and tossing it to the other side of the bed.

A warm, muscled hand wrapped around my waist and pulled me against a solid chest. My breaths came out softly yet evenly as I linked my arms loosely around my mate. His lips pressed a light kiss on my forehead before slowly gliding down and finding my mouth. Our kiss was nothing like last night's desperate ones. This kiss lasted for a few seconds before I pulled back and opened my eyes again.

Beau's stormy gray orbs held concern, frustration, and just a bit of left over anger, showing how furious he'd been when he learned about my past. Claiming me had only calmed him down slightly—he'd be extra protective and possessive today.

"Are you okay?" He murmured against my skin.

"I'm fine," it was a slight lie, "what about you?"

"Of course I'm alright. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I can still see the anger in your eyes," I said softly, brushing my fingers down his jaw, "don't lie to me."

He groaned and leaned back against the pillows, pulling me down on top of him, "of course you'd be worrying about me at a time like this."

My fingertips traced the lines on his chest, something I knew calmed him down, "I've never seen you so angry."

"I don't think I've ever been that angry," his hands subconsciously stroked my bare back, "I won't let him have you, baby. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost you," his voice had become a hoarse whisper.

"I'd die instead of mating with someone else," I breathed honestly.

His eyes flickered to mine, "don't say that. I'd rather you mate with someone else than die. I couldn't handle your death—I'd die too."

Beau rolled over so I was underneath him and brushed his fingers across my bottom lip. My hands moved up to cup his face and I smoothed my thumb over his cheekbones before pulling his face down toward mine. Our lips met and moved in sync, keeping rhythm with the other set. My lips parted when his tongue brushed my lip and he traced his tongue on the inside of my teeth.

I wrapped my legs around his waist, pulling him down closer to me so every line of us was pressed together. Beau's wolf purred and he kissed me harder. I gasped as his hands, unashamed and confident, stroked every inch of my bare skin, leaving me tingling and wanting—no, needing—more. Unfortunately, I knew that we couldn't get carried away. There were more important things that needed to be taken care of, and Beau had a lot of responsibility as the alpha.

"Beau," I breathed reluctantly, "I have to take a shower." My excuse was pitiful, but it was the first thing that came to mind, and it was also true. I honestly did need to take a shower, considering last night I didn't get a chance to have a bath.