Chapter Fourteen

I wore a navy blue knit sweater with extra long sleeves that concealed the skin up to my knuckles. The sweater was paired with faded skinny jeans and leather knee-high boots. It was a little bit loose, helping to sort of hide my bulge—Beau and I had decided to wait until the pack was settled, meaning the Spruce alpha's death before announcing my pregnancy.

A smile crept onto my face as I came down the stairs. My mate was standing at the stove in a t-shirt and jeans—his hair still mussed—and was flipping pancakes. I took two plates from a cabinet and put them to the right of the stove. Beau grinned down at me when I gave him a peck on the cheek. His stormy eyes held a thoughtful expression and I was curious as to what he could possibly be thinking about.

A possibility could be the death he'd be responsible for within an hour. However, I highly doubted it—he was more than pleased to squeeze the life out of the Spruce alpha. My second theory was our baby. I knew that Beau didn't know if he was ready to be a father—that much was obvious. He was trying his very best to hide it, but I could read him easily. One part of him was excited and anxious about my pregnancy and our decision to keep the baby, yet the other was frightened slightly by the commitment involved.

"Hey baby," he kissed my lips while flipping a golden pancake. "How's your stomach?"

"Bigger," I sighed. "I'm not sure how long we'll be able to hide it."

Werewolves mature much faster than humans in the womb. It takes around one week for the wolf pups to grow in their mother's womb, occasionally less if the mother is having multiple pups. Twins take five days, triplets take four—three days is the minimum amount of time in the mother's womb in existence. Beau and I knew that our baby would mature quickly—it was the off-spring of a luna and alpha, therefore making it stronger and faster. It would take around half a week until I was due.

Beau slid two pancakes onto the plates and gestured for me to sit down at the table. I watched as he grinned at me and squirted whipped cream on top of each patty, plopping a strawberry at the top. I chuckled—he had such a sweet tooth. My vision was blocked as he shifted his weight and did something else to the pancakes. He probably just drizzled chocolate or something. I ran my fingers through my hair and stifled a small yawn. I'd had to sleep on my side last night—something I wasn't used to.

The plate was placed in front of me and I smirked at my mate—there was a pile of whipped cream on the pancake. He shot me an innocent grin and started eating his breakfast. I rolled my eyes affectionately and cut off a small piece of the pancake. We ate in a comfortable silence, both caught up in our own thoughts. Mine was on the pup growing in my belly.

I swiped my finger through the whipped cream, savoring the rich flavor—I suppose I was a sucker for sweets too. My finger ran along something hard and I frowned. I dug around in the fluffy blob for a few seconds, trying to hunt down the hard object. My fingers closed around it and I brought it out of the mess, wiping it off with my napkin. My eyes widened when I saw what it was.

It was a silver band, decorated beautifully with a sparkling diamond. The diamond wasn't big, nor was it flashy—it was exactly the type of ring I'd choose for myself. My heart started pounding and my breath caught I was barely aware that my jaw had dropped.

Beau took the ring from my grasp and knelt down on one knee, right in front of me. I could feel tears pooling in my eyes and I cursed myself—why the hell was I crying at a time like this? A small part of my brain answered me: because this is all you've ever wanted.

"I know we've only known each other for a couple of months, but I also know that those months have been the best of my life. If you say no, I'll understand—I love you more than anything and I'm willing to wait..." his eyes glanced up nervously and only then did I realize that a small part of him was scared. "Amabelle Murdock, will you marry me?"