Chapter 4: Die in your Dreams

It seemed Sootleaf's visit proved a catalyst for bad events, in terms of Sunspots' life. The night he met Sootleaf he dreamt something really unusual for what his dreams usually entailed. He was in a dark woods with brambles prickling his pelt, but he was lucky enough for Goldberry to wake him up and save him from this nightmare to tell him they were out of cobwebs.

The sunrise after, Sunspots had to answer to the deputy's interrogations regarding his relationship with Sootleaf. He had to spill his heart to convince the warriors of SandClan that Sootleaf was trustworthy. 

This night, Sunspots revisited his nightmare. Brambles tugged at his pelt and his paws sank in marshy ground. He thought, This is a vivid dream, then was taken aback at his self-awareness. Usually he only dreamt of collecting herbs and chasing butterflies.

Now he was shivering in a fog. The longer he remained in this nightmare, the more his mind acclimatized to wherever he was. He was no mouse-brain, he realized now the types of terrain he was treading. His courage convinced him to move forward instead of running away. He just wished the Darkforest wasn't so cold.

Sunspots heard rustling, urgent whispering. Bald branches ahead of him quivered like arrows in flight, and so he mistook the whispering for the trees.
The further he struggled through the fog, the more voices he could make out from the dark woods around him. It was not the trees this time, and foolishly Sunspots ran blindly through the fog to get away from whatever was hunting him.

Ahead of him was a wall of black ferns. Through them he saw eyes! Yellow and green eyes peered at him, all different shapes and emotions. Sunspots yelped in fear the more the fog parted for those faces and he swung himself around, sprinting backwards now. 
Am I going mad? Is this the Darkforest or not? Is this a nightmare? Is this what Sootleaf dreams of?

Sunspots leapt over a root and ducked underneath a stray branch. He thought he was escaping the fog when suddenly he crashed into the ground. A stray thorn sunk into his side and he hissed in pain. Looking up, Sunspots saw two pairs of eyes glaring down at him with mock pity.

Sunspots turned and plucked the thorn from his side, with only the type of precision a medicine cat could have, and spat it away from him.

"Remember to be gentle, Longclaw," a black she-cat muttered, "We don't want him dying before he's presented." She had emerald green eyes and a feathery pelt. Her claws were silver and digging into the dirt. Beside her, a tall white and cream tom folded his scarred lip and muttered an apology.

This 'Longclaw' pinned Sunspots down again, as quick as the fog. Claws were at Sunspots' throat, claws were at his belly. The Darkforest tom's yellow eyes scanned the SandClan medicine cat, looking satisfied.
All the while, Sunspots was too petrified to move. One twitch could result in his throat and stomach being torn out.

"Come on, Echosoul, I want to get back now. Maybe I can kill this one this time, once we return," Longclaw muttered.
Echosoul scoffed, "You killed the last one prematurely! I doubt it."

There are more of us here? Sunspots thought, feeling his heartbeat increase. He rediscovered his mobility and, while Longclaw was looking aside, scored his claws down the Darkforest warrior's belly, feeling blood drip onto him before writhing free.

"This one can fight!" He heard Longclaw shout. "This'll be fun."

Sunspots made it through the fog, but not for long. Claws struck his flank and he felt his legs give out from under him. As he collapsed onto the ground, more loose thorns burrowed their way through his skin.

"This one's just as strong as that old she-cat I killed," Longclaw growled. "Keep your eyes peeled Echosoul- come on," and the two warriors dragged Sunspots along, letting his pelt pick up and carry more thorns as he slid along the ground. No matter how much Sunspots twisted and struggled, the pain of thorns in his back kept him still. Eventually he fell limp and let the two struggle to carry his weight.

After a while, the SandClanner croaked, "What do you even want me for? Death? You want me to die so I cannot heal my Clan?"
Longclaw mewed, without turning, "It doesn't matter why."

*~*~*

Sunspots was dropped. His head fell limp against the cold ground.

"Stand up," a voice ordered.

He refused. He was in too much pain, and these warriors were going to kill him anyway. Instead, he studied the world before him from his place on the ground. In front of him he saw a stained, white pelt and dull green eyes staring at him. He recognized those eyes- he felt sick.
Fastclaw?

"Any last words?" A cat mewed. Sunspots glanced up- the speaker was no cat that he knew. This tom had a silvery, cobalt pelt and lime-green eyes. One of his ears was torn and a whisker of his was bent. He looked ancient and his teeth were yellowish as he sneered.

Sunspots was allowed to sit up.

"Forgive me!" a she-cat called. She was young, and she hurried into the clearing, panting. "The GreenClan medicine cat- Juniperleaf- she- she fled." The warrior had a cut on her cheek and a bleeding wound on her shoulder. 
The grey tom turned towards her, ears flicking. He strode over to her, slowly.
Sunspots turned away.

"And the OakClan medicine cat?" The grey tom barked.
"Birchstar begged us to not kill her! R- Remember? S-She's so weak and afraid all the time, she might as well be dead."
"What's Birchstar doing, overriding what Wolfstar demands? Oh well..."

Sunspots looked around and beside him was Sunfall. The ruddy tom was glaring at Sunspots with pure hatred in his fiery eyes. A whispered hiss made Sunspots shiver, "This is all his fault!"
"His? Who?"
"Sootleaf's. Is he not here? Look around Sunspots, and tell me if your dear friend is here." the ginger tom lashed his tail. Although he looked calm besides the ire in his eyes, and sat with decent posture, Sunspots could choke on the smell of his fear.

The grey Darkforest tom turned around and padded towards the two medicine cats, green eyes glaring, "Let me repeat myself: Any last words?"

"What's the point of last words when nobody important will hear them?" Sunfall spat. 
The RockClan medicine cat had a point, so Sunspots stayed silent as well. He'd die without any last words, because who would hear them? Nobody but selfish Darkforest warriors who would cackle as Sunspots die, mock his last words which would be dedicated to Goldberry- Goldberry?
Sunspots looked around.

Why wasn't she there? He remembered her mentioning a night patrol, to gather herbs and spend time with Whitesun and Midnightheart, but... surely-

"Fine, then," The muscular, stony tom interrupted Sunspots' thoughts, and his claws came close to spearing Sunfall's belly.
"Wait!" Sunfall yowled, cringing back, "I do have some last words, and it isn't a prayer of any sort- do not kill me-"
"Give me a reason!"

Sunfall swallowed hard, glaring at those claws at his stomach, "I can spy for you, or I can-"
"RockClan is useless to us."
"It isn't! RockClan might become allies with BirdClan and SandClan now, your biggest rivals."
The grey tom's eyes flashed, "And what could a spineless medicine cat like you possibly do? Refuse to-"
"I'll murder my Clan's kits. I'll do anything," Sunfall's fiery eyes were earnest. He wasn't lying.

The Darkforest tom laughed and dropped his weapons, "Fine! You worthless piece of crow-food, flee. I doubt you're of any use to your Clan anyway. You despicable traitor, you would rather beg for your life and make a deal with the Darkforest than help your Clan. You're a plague on your Clan and you shall remain a plague. Fine, kill those kits."

Sunfall lifted his head high. There was a pain in his eyes. 

The SandClan medicine cat beside him growled deep in his throat. How could he do this? He's a medicine cat for StarClan's sake!

Sunfall dared to continue, "Kill Sunspots, quickly, and leave me alone. He is a greater threat, being the medicine cat of your greatest enemy," he announced.
"Of course, morsel," The grey tom snickered, though his eyes flashed with anger, "but I'd hardly press your luck, speaking to me that way. I'd kill anyone who played me like a mouse-brain."

But just as quick as the fog that was creeping into the clearing, the same from outside, that swallowed the corpse of Fastclaw, silver claws flashed before Sunspots' eyes. 
Sharp weapons were plunged into his neck and belly, and his vision faded to red and black motley. The last thing he saw were the green eyes of a Darkforest leader, and the fiery gaze of Sunfall who was exiting the clearing as calm as night.