Chapter 9: From the Two Sides of Light and Dark

Whitedust's party was met with a beautiful sea of golden grain. They watched it from above on the cliffs, rippling in waves like a real ocean, but they saw their desired river cut straight through its heart as clear and blue as the sky. But when they reached the fields, they realized how tall the grass really was. It was like a labyrinth. It was bright and beautiful in the daytime, but at night when they followed the moon, it was a dark jungle. 

Whitedust could smell the same, sweet aroma she caught before. It made her feel like StarClan was present with her.

It was difficult to hunt in the long grass, and Slashingclaw almost got lost. It was worth it when he brought back a fat hare, but it was hardly enough for everyone to share.
"We already lost Leanclaws." Woodknot muttered, "We don't need to lose anyone else."

"But I'm hungry." Bloodfang complained.

"Yeah if a mouse runs at my paws, I'll catch it." Woodknot snapped. "But we need to find the river, and the moon will lead us to it. Then Brackenshade and Slashingclaw can fish for us."

"The moon is leading us to that mountain." Whitedust commented. They weren't in its shadow yet, but they were getting close. She knew the moon was leading them towards the mountain and not the river.

The others knew as well. Dogheart mewed, "Wait, didn't Sootleaf say to follow the moon and not the river? Why aren't they even close to each other?"
Whitedust sighed, "I don't want to travel only at night, though!"
Woodknot mewed acridly, "StarClan can't even contact medicine cats, so why should we even trust Sootleaf? I joined this quest to be the voice of reason. Follow the river."

"They're connected!" Bloodfang argued, lashing his red tail. "StarClan has always been connected to the moon, mouse-brain!"
"How so?"
"At gatherings, if the truce is broken, then the moon gets covered!"

"But the shards are literally in the river." Ashblizzard retorted. "How can they just jump out and follow the moon?"
"What about the mountain? The moon is right over it." Dogheart mewed in quick defense of clanmate.

Whitedust thought about it and mewed, "Maybe the river leads to the mountain. That happens a lot. In RockClan territory, nearly every body of water leads back up a mountain."

Everyone fell silent and continued padding. Despite the quietness, there was still a heavy air around them. Bloodfang and Dogheart whispered angrily at each other and Woodknot and Ashblizzard stared at them, ears flicking.

Suddenly Brackenshade stopped and parted her jaws. Her dark eyes widened and suddenly her long tail lashed out, hitting Whitedust in the chest, "Blood."

Suddenly the grass in front of them rustled and then flattened completely. Whitedust felt her heart catch in her throat. Everyone was silent and Slashingclaw extended his neck, sniffing.

"It was nothing!" Woodknot sighed, flicking his tail for everyone to keep moving. Half of the group did so and the other half stalled. The smell of blood soon faded.

The sun was moving across the sky and the warriors traveled across the fields in the direction of the river. Sometimes a mouse would be caught by someone if it strayed too close to the group. Then they would all stop and feast, taking turns of who would eat and who would keep watch.

Sometimes there were small creeks that parted the grass and everyone could drink. Slashingclaw caught a few small fish and they stopped to eat; though the fish were so small that they could be eaten in one gulp.

"It's dark up ahead." Slashingclaw frowned from where he kept watch, his long tail flicking.
"It's the shadow of the mountain. The sun moved." Woodknot mewed. "Duh?"