0.3

the popularity project | calum hood

0.3

_________________________

annabellas pov

"So, I think the first thing we need to talk about is your name," Calum says as we walk into the mall.

"Um, what about it?" I question.

"It's too, well, it's too nerdy." He explains.

"Excuse me?" I'm taken aback.

"How about Bella or Anna?" He offers.

"I don't understand what's wrong with my name now!" I protest.

"I already told you, it's too nerdy." He says, walking into a store called Aeropostale.

I think about it for a minute. The name I have now was given to me by my parents who abused me, but it's also what my mothers call me. They never thought about shortening it or changing it. However, I will do everything I can to separate myself from the monsters who abused me, "Fine, I'll go with Bella."

"Perfect!" He grins, "Now, do you see anything you like?"

"Um, no not really," I say, walking over to a stand with several graphic t-shirts on it an picking one up, "How is this even considered a shirt?"

"It's called a crop top," He laughs, taking the salmon pink shirt with the chevron pocket, "And it's exactly what we need to make you popular."

"But..." I begin to protest, but I stop as Calum piles tops and bottoms into my hands. This is all for a good cause, right?

"Calum, how do you expect to pay for all of this?" I ask as we walk into another store called Sephora. We've already bought enough stuff.

"We'll return everything except for the makeup and hair tools once the project is over," Calum says and I nod.

"Why do we need more stuff?" I ask.

"Don't get me wrong, I love the whole bright blue eyeshadow and zits you have going on," He says sarcastically, "But it's not exactly how normal girls do their makeup."

"There's no such thing as a normal girl," I cross my arms as he picks up eyeliner, nude eye shadows, dark and light lip colors, concealer, foundation, and several other things. I know what most of it is. I used to want to be a special fx. makeup artist, but I realized that was an unrealistic job and decided to go for becoming a lawyer instead.

"You just keep telling yourself that, sweetheart," He pats my back and walks up to the register, paying for all the stuff he just bought.

"So, are we done now?" I ask eagerly.

"Nope," He says, popping the 'p.' "We need to change your hair, blonde is too, well, it's too...I don't know. It's too common. My girlfriend has blonde hair, and so do half of the girls on the cheer squad."

"So, what do you suggest I do?" I ask annoyed.

"You need to dye it," He says, "How about...blue?"

"Absolutely not!" I protest, my parents would never allow that.

"Dark brown?" He suggests and I think it over, "You'll need to straighten your hair everyday, though."

"I don't think my parents would be okay with me dying my hair any color," I explain.

"Well, call them and ask!" He says, like it's obvious and it kind of his, but I'm honestly doing everything I can to get out of this.

I take out my phone, calling my mum, anxious to hear her answer, "Hi, mum!"