v.

05 | ALL BOW TO THE SOUND OF BATTLE CRIES

To most people, Caroline was a sweet young girl who had a future as a queen ahead of her. But then to the small few who truly knew her, she was definitely not fit to be a queen, nor did she want to be one, and most queens in the making would not be outside wearing loose pants and an oversized cotton shirt while fighting with a sword. Edmund had offered to look after the girl on a general basis, by helping her in battle and to check on her while at the Howe.

Edmund smirked, "Come on, you can do better then that,".

"I'm sorry – " Caroline paused, swinging her sword, " – that I don't have as much practise as you – " another swing, " – because I use small daggers, not swords,".

"You're not trying hard enough," Edmund instructed, "You need to channel an inner anger,".

Caroline stopped, thinking back to everything that's happened to her and trying to pinpoint a specific thing. So much had happened to her though, it was hard to chose just one thing. Suddenly perking up, a stern expression crossing her face, she lifted her sword, swinging it back and forth, the sound of metal against metal a small whisperer compared to how loudly her heart was beating.

Edmund breathed heavily, disarming Caroline, "There you go. I think that's enough for now. You did good,"

"Caspian put you up to this, didn't he?" Caroline asked.

"Your brother worries about you, he told us what happened with your parents," Edmund answered, "This is real,".

"I grew up, listening to stories about all of you. It broke me when they died, I needed to shut the childish things out and grow up – to be strong," Caroline sighed, her eyes watering.

The King gave a sympathetic look to the girl. In a way he understood how she felt, as he had gone through the same situation when he first found out about Narnia.

Caroline wiped her eyes, "If you tell anyone that I just opened up to you, I'll kill you myself,".

Edmund laughed, putting a hand over his heart, "I would never – looks like I'm already making an impact,".

The two started to head back inside the Howe, both not knowing what to do.

"Thank you," Caroline whispered.

The princess began to go get ready for the fight, turning to give one last glance to the king and tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. What is happening, Caroline thought, he's just a boy – a boy who's already climbing your walls to get to you.