vii.

07 | DUMB AND DUMBER

Trumpkin gaped at the high king, "Pegs and kettle drums, that's your big plan, sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest, alone?".

"It's our only chance," Peter defended.

"And she won't be alone," Susan added.

Trumpkin looked towards Lucy, "Haven't enough of us died already?".

"Nikabrik was my friend too," Trufflehunter sighed, "But he lost hope, whereas Queen Lucy has not and neither have I,".

"For Aslan," Reepicheep whispered.

"Then I'm going with you," Trumpkin declared.

Caroline – from her spot in front of Edmund – shook her head, "No, we need as many troops as we can get here. If they strike, we need to be able to strike back,".

"Your majesty, if I may," Caspian interjected, "Miraz, may be a tyrant and a murderer but he is also a king, he is summoned to the traditions and expectations of his people,".

"If you're suggesting what I think you are – then this idea is dumb –but who'll fight him? You?" Caroline inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"No, Peter, will be the one who duels against him," Caspian answered.

Edmund glanced down at Caroline, "What is he suggesting?"

"My brother is suggesting that we offer a way to chose who wins without a bloodbath. One of us, against one of them – who'll most likely be, Miraz. A fight until death," Caroline explained.

Peter nodded, "It's the only thing we got. I'll write the deal down on a parchment and then someone can deliver it to him, Edmund?".

"Me?" Edmund replied, "Why me?".

"Because if I go, it comes of needy. Whereas if you go, it makes him think that we've got something big planned," Peter answered.

"That made no sense," Caroline sighed, "Sometimes I wonder what goes on inside that head of yours,".

"I agree with, Care. But fine I'll go," Edmund agreed.

Caroline tensed up, immediately saying, "Then I'm going with you – obviously for protection and all, why else?".

Peter chuckled, throwing a glance towards Lucy who was grinning widely. Once the parchment was written and Edmund, Caroline, a giant and a centaur had left, the remaining Pevensie children and Caspian turned to each other, most grinning whereas Caspian wanted to be sick at the thought.

"I want them together," Lucy cooed, "If they get married, I can be the flower girl,".

"And I can finally be an aunt if they have children," Susan smiled.

"They're not even together. My sister doesn't fancy people," Caspian groaned, "Relax,".

"You just can't accept that your little sister is grown up. And that Edmund – out of everyone, is helping her change," Peter informed.

"Well come on you lot, stop ogling and let's get a move on," Trumpkin said.

♞♞♞

"What are you, an idiot? Tell, Miraz, that his niece would like to see him," Caroline scoffed, glaring at the solider.

Caroline smirked in achievement as the soldier simply nodded, walking away from the group. Edmund grinned over at her, a sense of proudness building up inside of him that she could order around grown men.

The soldier soon returned, "Miraz, is ready for you,".

The king and princess entered the small canopy, the Narnian creatures standing guard outside.

Edmund unrolled the parchment, clearing his throat, "I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by lecture and by conquest, High King of Narnia and emperor of the Lone Islands. In order to prevent the inevitably shed of blood, hereby challenge you, Miraz, to single combat upon the field of battle, the fight shall be to the death, the reward – to be total surrender,".

"He couldn't of wrote a shorter letter?" Caroline whispered, rolling her eyes.

"Ah, my niece, so lovely to see you," Miraz said, bowing his head.

"I could say the feelings mutual but honestly, I want to punch you in the face," Caroline smiled sweetly.

Miraz scoffed, "Tell me, Prince Edmund – ".

" – King. It's King Edmund, actually. But just king, Peter's the High King," Edmund corrected.

Caroline nudged Edmund, "Stop talking,".

"Why would you risk such a proposal when our army could wipe you out by nightfall?" Miraz continued, ignoring the whole prince/king/high king ordeal.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? I mean, only a week ago, Narnian's were extinct," Edmund questioned.

"And so you will be again," Miraz threatened.

"I'll kill you myself if you dare try," Caroline threatened.

Miraz smirked, a flash of something Caroline couldn't recognise crossing hi eyes, "I don't doubt you,".

"What does that mean?" Caroline questioned.

"Care, not now,". Edmund raised  an eyebrow, "If that's how you feel then you should have little to fear,".

Miraz laughed, "This is not a position of bravery,".

"Wow, the great King Miraz, bravely refusing to fight a young swordsman?" Caroline tsked.

"I didn't say I refused," Miraz replied, before snapping at the other lords, "I'm not avoiding anything,".

Edmund put a hand out in front of Caroline, glaring as Miraz started to wave his sword around.

Miraz then pointed his sword towards the two teens, "You better hope your brothers sword is sharper than his pen,".

a/n: There's three chapters left until this is over. I'm actually devastated.

Tell me what you think Miraz meant by the whole "I don't doubt you" ordeal.