The Door Covered In Stickers

Roman's POV

"Leati, you don't know anything about her! You're never even here!" Galina screams in my face.

I tense, my jaw clenched. "Don't you talk about her. Not now. You know she's in there. She's trying to sleep. And you're yelling so stop." I say through clenched teeth, worried about my daughter whom was most likely listening.

"Don't you tell me that I can't speak about my daughter Leati, don't you dare try to tell me that." Galina growls at me. "She is my daughter!"

"I'm done with this." I mutter and push past my bitter wife.

I walk into the kitchen and grab a small pink cup from the cupboard along with a matching princess saucer.

"See that's you're problem Roman!" Galina shouts after me as she enters the kitchen herself. "You're too much of a damn coward to stand and fight to work something out."

I sigh and open the refrigerator, grabbing a gallon of milk. I set it on the counter and observe the acrimonious woman standing in front of me.

"That's the thing." I say dryly. "You can only fight with a person that's willing to get in the ring with you. And fight."

I pour milk into the little cup and put it back in the refrigerator as my wife is silent. "And you." I continue quietly as I take two cookies from a jar sitting on the counter and set them onto the plate. "Aren't willing to fight."

"Then what is it that you call me doing right now!" She yells at me.

I slam my hand on the counter causing milk to splash out of the cup and for the jar of cookies to fall over. I point my finger at her. "Dammit I said stop yelling while my little girl is sleeping!" I yell myself and not another word leaves her mouth.

I run my hand through my hair, breathing heavily in the now silent house.

Suddenly, I hear little footsteps rushing back up the stairs and I close my eyes, listening to a door upstairs being closed as quiet as possible.

Galina must have heard them as well as she puts her hand on her forehead. "What did you do now?" I hear her mutter.

I just shake my head and grab the cup and saucer from the counter and walk right past my wife with them.

"Do you honestly think she's gonna want to be anywhere near the big scary stranger-man that almost broke the counter and screamed a swear word at her mommy?" She asks me and I stop walking but don't look back at her.

"Big scary stranger-man?" I ask as I look back at her. She just nods. "No. But she'll want to be near her daddy." I say quietly and continue walking.

"I wish you would just leave her alone. She doesn't need this. Or more importantly, you." Galina calls after me and her words were knives in my heart but I continue walking as I always do.

•••

I approach the door covered in stickers and open it just a crack, peering inside.

The covers are quickly thrown over a small head and I sigh.

I open the door and close it quietly behind me.