Chapter 29

Two weeks later, Kennedy sat on a high stool behind the counter of West Wind Tarot Readings and Books with a stack of paper on her lap. She'd spent the morning handing out surveys on campus, and had spent a happy afternoon doing the same in Charlie's shop. Acutely aware of the giant windows a few feet from where they sat, Kennedy had been limiting public displays of affection. They had, however, snuck into the stock room for a quick make-out session when the shop was momentarily empty.

"Thanks again for letting me shamelessly exploit your shop for my thesis research," she said after the customer Charlie had been serving walked out the door.

"You know I'm more than happy to help you get caught up on your work. I'm sure I contributed to slowing you down."

"But you helped me get back on track, to. I never would have though to analyze the level of life satisfaction of believers, non-believers and unconventional believers if it wasn't for you."

Kennedy hoped that she'd get a significant number of non-believers from the surveys she'd collected on campus, and most of Charlie's customers fell into the unconventional believers category. Tomorrow she hoped to make the rounds at a local interfaith group comprised of members of local churches, synagogues and mosques to see how they, too, scored themselves on six different aspects of life satisfaction and overall happiness. So far, most of Charlie's customers had chosen to fill out the paper version of the survey in person, while more than half of the students she approached had taken the slip of paper with the web address for the online version of the survey.

Charlie picked up his phone and checked the time yet again. His other hand was below the counter on Kennedy's thigh, doing things she certainly wouldn't have wanted him to do without the barrier between them and the window. He leaned in and nuzzled her neck.

"This has been the longest shift of my life. I can't wait until closing time," he said.

"Me, too," Kennedy said. Her body was already warm from his hand on her body. His words made her wish for a fan. Or really big curtains. "But I'll have more...stamina if we have dinner first."

"How do you feel about instant ramen noodles? I can make those in under two minutes."

Kennedy laughed. "I'll eat anything you're cooking. I love a man in an apron."

"All men in aprons?" Charlie asked, his voice teasing.

She kissed him lightly. "More like just one."

An hour later, Kennedy watched Charlie flip the 'Open' sign to 'Closed' with relief. Spending all afternoon and part of the evening watching him smile at his mostly female customers - even just a warm, friendly smile, not the devilish one she coveted - left Kennedy badly wanting Charlie all to herself.

Upstairs, Charlie pulled pre-packaged peirogies, a couple pieces of chicken, and some salad fixings from the fridge. Howl came running to greet Charlie, but left to examine his food bowl before he got underfoot. Kennedy laughed when Charlie asked her to wash the lettuce, and she told him about her recent trip to see her parents.

"They sound like good people. I'd like to meet them sometime."

"I'd like that. I think they'd like you, too. Christmas holidays are coming up."

"Maybe I'll dye my hair red and green, get all festive."

"I'd love to see the look on my father's face if you did."

"He's old-school, is he?"

"Not about most things, just about men wearing nail polish or dying their hair. But you gotta remember, when he was a kid, you could get kicked out of the house for that sort of thing."