Chapter Four

1976 — Manhattan, New York

   Damon Salvatore began to admire every quirk Freya Beauchene had, have it be small or little. She always wore an amethyst necklace inside a silver plated cage, at least an inch and a half, and it always felt warm whenever he touched it. When he asked about it, she said that her grandmother gave it to her when she turned twenty. Amethysts were known as a natural stress reliever that encouraged inner strength and brought wealth and a strong business sense to its wearer. They, apparently, repelled negative energy and attracted positive energy. He thought the stone didn't work since it attracted him, a negative energy to the world and everything living there.

   Each night, he spent it at The Ground, or when she wasn't working at her house. He became good friends with Frederick, Freya's twin brother, who also wore a similar necklace but with a bloodstone instead. He told him that it purified and detoxified the body, grounded negative energy and cleaned the body's energy, increased energy and strength, promoting a constant flow of energy throughout the body. Damon could see why the man chose the bloodstone, since he didn't seem to stop moving whenever he was around. 

   "It's Halloween, what the hell are you doing here instead of with that bunny?" Will asked Damon, handing him a glass of bourbon.

   Halloween, the most loved holiday by both the supernatural and humans. It was the day where they could say whatever, do whatever, and there would be little to no consequences. The speckled blood on a vampire's chin would be thought as part of their costume, and that was what Damon was going for.

   "Thought I'd give Billy's a chance for at least a few hours," Damon answered, smirking as he took a quick drink. "Decided to give her the night without me, you know, free her of a vampire boyfriend for a while."

   "You haven't told her you're a vampire?" Will laughed and shook his head. 

   "And what, have her stake me?" Damon chuckled. "Nah, I'd rather enjoy these moments for a while."

   "Like I haven't heard that before," Will laughed, once again, as he cleaned the sticky counter from its spilled alcohol. He looked up at the blue-eyed vampire in front of him, and smiled. "You have any more of what I asked?"

   Damon pulled out a few sticky ID's from his pocket, laying them in front of him with a wiggle of his brows. The cards were stuck together, covered in fresh and dried blood. The vampire smirked and licked his thumb and index finger. "Eight. You're welcome."

   "Killing streak," Will chuckled, grabbing the ID's and setting them inside a box filled with other numerous ID's from Damon's victims. He allowed the vampire to feed in his bar, and in return he would get the ID's from the victims, in which he would then sell to other supernatural creatures that were on the run or just wanted to change their identities. "So, tell me, what is it with you and that Freya bunny? I've never seen you so hung up on a girl before. You're more of a sleep-and-drain kind of guy."

   Damon let out a sarcastic laugh, shaking his head. "It's not like I don't plan on taking a drink from her," he chuckled. "Maybe later, but not now. I'm enjoying my moments with her for a while."

   "Seems that the badass Damon is falling in love," Will scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Right on, brother. Enjoy that bunny for a while."

   "Shut it," Damon hissed, glaring. He squeezed the glass so hard that it broke, sending shards flying and some digging into his palm. "I'm not... I'm not doing that. I don't fall in love, Will."

   "Yeah, okay," the other vampire chuckled. "Whatever you say, Damon. Hey, think you can get more by the end of the night?"

   Damon fed on more people for the next two hours, savouring the blood on his tongue as if he were a quenched man. He pulled away from the woman in front of him, swallowing a harsh gulp of blood and then licking his lips. The girl fell by his feet, which allowed him to pick up her purse, search for her wallet, and take the the money and the ID she had in there. It was the sixteenth ID he had gotten after his conversation with Will, the sixteenth kill from the anger that swam in his veins.