Chapter Nineteen

1976— Provincetown, Massachusetts

   Usually, Damon Salvatore would spend New Years downing a couple of beers and a few unlucky victims. It was what he did every year, in every town, every 31st of December, ever since he lost his humanity. But, then, finally, the small light in his life brought back this dreaded humanity and made him care, made him feel special. There was a part of him that hated that feeling, because he knew it was temporary. That peace he had finally found was temporary.

   Damon slowly opened his eyes, the brightness coming in from the frosty window making him close them again. He inhaled deeply. It was the scent of breakfast, the scent of a woman laying on the bed right next to him. He turned and wrapped his arms around the naked torso of the woman, pulling her towards him and laying a kiss on her shoulder. He let his lips to linger on that spot, just so he could feel the sensation of her skin on him.

   "Damon," the woman moaned, annoyed. "It's too early."

   The vampire let out a chuckle and pressed yet another kiss on the same spot on her shoulder. "It's nine." He pulled away from her and let his head fall on the pillow with a long breath escaping his mouth. "No, yeah, you're right. It's too early."

   It was Freya who chuckled this time. She turned and wrapped her arm around his torso, laying a gentle kiss on his shoulder just like he had done to her. She laid her head on his shoulder and let out a soft sigh. "Happy New Years," she said, softly, almost as if there were more people in the room and she only wanted him to hear.

   "It's still the 31st," he said, opening his eyes. "I'll say it tomorrow."

   Freya let out a short laugh. "Should we get up?"

   "I'd rather stay here," he told her as a smirk formed around his lips, "with you. Naked."

   "Yeah, we're getting up." She tapped him on the shoulder several times and stood, wrapping the sheer blanket around her.

  "Come on, Freya," Damon chuckled, eyeing as she walked around the room to pick up her clothes. "Just a bit more."

   She threw his shirt at him and smiled, let out a small laugh that resonated around the room like the melody of a music box. Damon noticed how she was much better than Christmas, how she smiled more, how she seemed to have forgotten about the accident. You could bet everything in the world to know that Damon Salvatore did not. It was fresh in his mind, fresh in his fingertips as he wished to squeeze the life out of the person that did that to his home. No, squeezing the life out of the person would be much mercy to them from him. What he wanted to do was torture them to the point where they would beg for death; he wanted to rip out their tongue and make them eat it, rip out their fingers, burn him. What the vampire wanted to do was give him the most gruesome death New York and the world would ever see.

   "Damon!" Freya called.

   The vampire looked up at her and raised a brow. "Yeah?"

   "You must have been deep in your mind," she chuckled, shaking her head. "I asked you a very important question."

   "What was it?"

   Freya let go of the blanket, allowing it to pool around her feet. She tilted her head to the side as she looked at the vampire, a small and seducing smirk around her lips. "Want to shower with me?"

   "Honey, if I ever say no please kill me." He stood from the bed and followed her to the shower, where he immediately kissed her under the hot water.

   Damon kissed her hard, slow, taking his time to taste her mouth. His hand reached up to her neck as hers brushed up his chest and entangled in his hair. He heard her breathing, her heartbeat against his chest, the low bustling in the kitchen as everyone moved around, but he ignored that. What he focused on more was the naked woman in front of him, the one that kissed him just as hard as he kissed her. He pulled away and kissed her neck, nipping at the space between her shoulder.