Chapter Five

1976 — Cranston, Rhode Island

   Damon Salvatore didn't know why he agreed to go with the Beauchene's to their hometown for Thanksgiving. At first, he was reluctant and denied every moment Freya asked him, which was at least once a day. Three days before the Beauchene's left on their road-trip home, Freya asked him again, and this time, he said yes. He didn't know why, but he just agreed when she asked him. It could have been that he was drunk on her kisses, high on the pecks she laid on his neck.

   During the five hour car ride, they had stopped every now and then at gas stations to grab some snacks and put fuel in the car. One of those stops was in Cranston, Rhode Island, at least two hours away from Provincetown. They stopped at a family-owned restaurant for lunch, which was full at three in the afternoon. Damon didn't know whether to eat a burger or drink from the waitress that kept flirting with him. Each time the waitress came, he would feel Freya inch closer to him. He couldn't help but smile when she finally wrapped her arm around his and continue to munch on the big bowl of french fries they had set in the middle of the table.

   "So, Mom wants us to bring in the ingredients for her famous pumpkin pie," Frederick began, looking from Damon to his sister.

   "Already in the car," Freya responded with a sigh, throwing an unfinished fry on her plate. "I'm gonna walk around. I'll be back soon." She stood from the table, pulled on her jacket, and walked away without another word.

   Damon stared at her as she walked away, curious. He turned to her brother and arched a brow. "What's with her, huh?"

   "You don't know?" Frederick looked at the vampire, a small smile around his lips. "It's called the Love Sickness."

   "Did you seriously just call it Love Sickness?" Damon asked him, shaking his head. "I can't believe that I just heard you use those two words consecutively in one sentence."

   "Fine, what would you prefer for me to use when I try to say that she likes-likes you?" Frederick leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms, eyeing the vampire with amusement.

   "Likes-likes me?" Damon scoffed and rolled his eyes, amused. "What are we? Twelve?"

   "Twenty-three," Frederick corrected, drinking from his beer. "But, close enough to twelve." He put the bottle on the table and circled the opening with his finger, staring down. Minutes filled with silence passed, and the elder Beauchene twin decided to speak up. "Listen, Damon, are you and Freya getting serious?"

   "W-what?" Damon suddenly sputtered, choking on the beer he had been drinking. "What are you talking about?"

   "Are you and Freya getting serious?" Frederick repeated. "Like, looking into the future serious?"

   Damon leaned back and ran his hand through his hair, surprised at Frederick's sudden words. He had looked into a future with Freya, but preferred to quickly get rid of them, because he preferred the now. To him, twenty years could pass in a blink of an eye, fast, like a hummingbirds heart. His time with Freya would be short, and he knew that, but he had pushed those thoughts far into the depths of his mind. Of course he had thought of turning her into a vampire and spend the rest of eternity with her, a selfish desire. But, he never had the heart to go through with his decision. It was one of the small things that made him realise that Freya brought his humanity back.

   The vampire cleared his throat. "Where's all this coming from?" he smiled, swallowing hard.

   "It's just big brother making sure his twin sister is not getting her heart broken by a guy she likes a lot," Frederick responded as he nodded. He looked down and let out a chuckle, shaking his head. "I shouldn't be talking to you about this because I'm not the one with the feelings, but I'm worried about her."