Chapter Five - So Long and Goodnight

I put on one of Kobra Kid's old shirts, and some pajama bottoms. Old 2012 stuff. He's still in his yellow shirt and skinny jeans. I look at him funny, and he returns the look. We laugh at each other. I sit on the counter for the 3rd time today.

"Ready for bed, Adren?" Adren is the nickname for me.

"Yeah! I'm so tired!"

"Well, whenever you're ready. I'll be right back."

He disappears in his room and shuts the door. I look around the diner. It's pretty spacious. Barely anything occupies the space. Just the sofa and counter top. There is a booth in the area by Kobra's room, and a table and chairs next to it. I jump off the counter and walk over to the booth.

The leather seats have little tears in them. I can tell they're very old. Probably from 2011. 8 years ago. I was only 11 back then. Now I'm 19. Back then everything was so, perfect. And then the fire. And then BLI. Then the world went to shit.

I sit in the booth. The unfamiliar smell of leather fills the air. It smells like home to me. I roll up the plain black sleeve of my shirt and look under my arm to see the tattoo of my name. I won't be called this name anymore. It kind of hurts, but it's worth it. I'm a Fabulous Killjoy now.

A door opens. I stand up and look at Kobra's room, but it's still closed. I see Party walk in through his bedroom door. He looks at me surprised.

"Oh, you're awake." He has his mask in his hands.

"Um, yeah. Where you going?" I gesture to his mask.

"I have to go on another mission."

"But you just got back!"

"Duty calls. Tell Kobra I'm sorry." He waves to me and walks out the front door. Tears start to form in my eyes.

Kobra walks out of his room and into the main room. He sees my tears and runs up to catch them before they fall. He hugs me and I cry into his shoulder. I'm sure he already knows.

"He'll come back, Shhh. Don't worry Adren. Just let it out. He'll come back."

All I do is cry. I really don't know why. But, something about these guys makes me get so close to them real quick.

After a few minutes, Kobra picks me up and carries me into his room. He lays me down on the bed and lays down next to me, pulling the covers over us. He pulls me close and holds me.

I cry in his shoulder until I fall asleep. I'm still in his arms. He kisses my forehead, and I drift off to sleep.

That's the night that I first dream something good.

It was last year. My shack was recently repaired, and Kaylina and I stood in front of it, proud. We both walk into it and she goes into the kitchen and makes some lemonade from left over mix we saved. As she pours me a cup, someone snakes their arms around my waist and kisses my cheek.

I look up, and it's Kobra Kid. I smile at the sight of him. I turn around and kiss him, wrapping my arms around his neck. We pull away and then he speaks.

"I love you, Adren. Forever and always."

I wake up, it's still dark. Kobra is still holding me. I look over at the digital clock, and it says 3:27. Great. I woke up in the middle of the night. I roll over to face Kobra again, and through the moonlight I see him looking at me. He smiles and kisses my nose.

"I didn't mean to wake you up," I whisper.

"No, it's okay. I just had a good dream." He whispers back, resting his forehead on mine.

"Me too. Goodnight."

"I love you, Adren." He kisses me.

"Forever and always." I snuggle close to him, and fall asleep once more.