Chapter 6

The first thing I can smell when Dylan and I step into Jason Kahn's large house is beer. Alcohol floating above the several sweaty bodies on the mock dance floor in the center of his living room, practically burns my nostrils and eyes. Not once in my life have I ever been exposed to this much alcohol.

Well, what can I say? It's definitely not the first time I've lied to my mother. And besides, it's not like I'm actually going to drink at all. I just came to get some good dirt on Dylan Carter over here.

A loud yell escapes from a mouth back in the kitchen, and I think that the place is under attack. Of what, I don't know. Aliens, maybe? But then Jason's cheeky grin comes into view, and a relieved sigh falls from my lips, the breath not even being heard by myself. 

His shirt's unbuttoned halfway, and I raise my eyebrows, looking away. I certainly didn't come here to see that. 

Dylan pats his buddy on the back, a smile lighting up his face. "Hey, man," he says, and it seems like he completely forgets that I'm there, melding into a totally different person: a nice person.

Could it be?

He smirks at me. "Come on, let's go get you loosened up, Baker." Turning to Jason, he adds, "give us your strongest."

No, it couldn't. It isn't. 

I roll my eyes, and push him away from me, my hands on his chest where I can feel the ripple of his abs and the clench of his muscles as I keep them there, just to tease him and see what he does. He backs up into a wall, trying to get away from my touch, as I'm sure he wants to stay in control of the situation. Leaning up into his face, I whisper, "Now, Dylan," I start, emphasizing his name, "at least one of us has to stay sober, and I'm not sure that I have that high of a tolerance for beer." I blink, hoping it's flirtatious.

All he does is smirk wider. "Baker, you may want to be safe tonight, but you've been a little too safe lately. Loosen up, have some fun for awhile, let's go get you drunk!"

I shake my head, smiling. This is much more fun than I thought it'd be. "No, thanks, I'm good." I take my hands away, and he sighs audibly. I put up a hand to hide my smile.

"Alright, seems fair, Baker," he grins, "besides, I guess it'd be your preference to want to remember all of the fun you're gonna have tonight, right?"

My eyes are wide as I reply, "Yeah, that's it." 

He chuckles, and pushes away from the wall, back to being his normal bad boy self. This should be easy, getting something good on him, something that'll ruin his reputation. I'm sick and tired of these types of people getting the attention. Why not let some of the more shy, kinder people get some love? People are so cruel sometimes.

I shake myself out of my caring demeanor, and crack my knuckles. Time for the dirty work.

"Alex!" Molly's voice squeaks just at a frequency high enough for me to hear her. She's just come in the door, looking as excited as ever. In fact, I think she's become more ecstatic than when I last saw her, only fifteen minutes ago. 

I wave her over, though it's hard for her to find her way towards me; there's like a hundred people at this blasted party. But somehow, she manages to weave her way through the bodies squished against each other, reaching me just in time to say, "Where's Dylan?"

"Over there," I say, gesturing in the general direction of the kitchen.

She smirks. "Have fun," she emphasizes, dragging the word along. I roll my eyes once more before she giggles and flounces away into the crowd.