Chapter XVIII

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

The apartment is empty or so it seems, everyone is probably in their rooms enjoying the free time we have. I don't give much thought to it, I go straight to my room, Finnick's jacket is on my bed, folded perfectly. I grab it quickly and head out of there, and go back into the lift.

When I get to the roof, I see Finnick already there, watching the sea as he rests his elbows against the railing. I walk towards him, with his jacket in my arms.

"Hey!" I said a bit too loud.

He jumps slightly and curses as he turns around to see me, I can't help but laugh at him.

"That's not funny." He whines.

I didn't even mean to scare him, and it isn't like he wasn't expecting me. He knew I was coming.

"That happens for being distracted." I tell him when I stop laughing. "I wasn't even trying to scare you."

"Right." He murmurs.

"It's true, why would I?"

"Because of all the times I have done it to you." Finnick says shrugging. "Vengeance."

"You deserved it, but I'm not like that."

"How are you then?"

"I don't know." I say after thinking about it. "What do you think?"

"I think you are too innocent, too nice, too caring." He tells me. "But you are also sad and miserable. I wish you weren't."

"How can you figure me out so quickly?"

"It's not that hard."

"I can't figure you out. I know you are cocky, and don't try to deny it. You like to flirt a lot but you are really nice, deep inside you care about others. But besides that I don't know much about you. And physically you are considered pretty handsome. I heard a few of the girls talking about you."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, the girls from four, five and eight I think." I tell him. "They were saying how lucky Divya is for having you as mentor."

"If only they knew –" He says, taking a pause to look at the sky. "– That Mags is her mentor, not me."

"She said you were, and that you were pretty good at it."

"What do you think?"

"You are alright." I say smirking.

"Come on, I'm the best."

"See, you are cocky." I say, he opens his mouth to contradict me but I speak before he can. "But you are right, you are the best."

"Well if it counts for something, you are the best tribute I have had to mentor." He says. "Divya for example, she would have quitted our training on the first day, seriously."

Finnick stops talking as he probably tries to imagine Divya training with him. He makes a disapproving expression and shakes his head and chuckles.

"Definitely not." He says. "You know, I actually think we make a good team."

"Do you?"

"Of course." Finnick says smiling at me. "If we were together in the arena we would be unstoppable."