XX

On the next morning I almost forget about my training session with Finnick, I thought I still had free time, just like yesterday, and then I remember about it and literally jump out of bed and run all the way to the gymnasium.

"You warmed up already, huh?" Finnick says as he makes fun of me. I'm still panting a bit.

"Something like that." I say.

"Then let's get to work."

"Alright, what are we going to do today?"

"Just like the other time, I'll attack you, ambush you and you will try to break free or even kill me, just try, don't really do it."

"If I kill you the whole female population will torture me and then kill me, so no thanks." I say. "Besides, I'll be left without a mentor."

"The whole female population?" He asks amused, with a smirk on his lips.

"Yeah, you know." I say shrugging. "All the girls seem to like you, and I heard those girls the other day, they obviously have like an obsession with you."

"Well, what can I say? I'm good-looking." He says in an innocent voice. "I was born this way."

"Well Mr. Cocky, I think we have things to do." I say.

"Alright, as you wish." He says and before I even knew what was going on, I am tackled to the ground. "You must be always alert, always."

"You were talking to me!"

"So? Someone can be talking to you in the arena and someone else can attack you just like I did, or even the same person can do it." Finnick says, he's on top of me and it seems he won't get off of me in a long time. "Always alert and cautious, Danie."

"Alright, I got it." I say. "Can you get off of me now?"

"You know I can't. You have to do that."

I struggle under his body, but he doesn't even bulge. I try harder but I only get him to smirk at me. I keep trying harder and harder but nothing, in the arena I would be dead a long time ago.

'I know you won't walk out of there as a victor.'

I may be becoming mad, but for a moment Finnick wasn't really him. He was my father, trying to kill me. And that phrase, it kept repeating over and over in my head.

'Show them how wrong they are.'

Finnick's voice replaces my father's and between the emotions I feel from the two phrases, from the two people, I find a weird and new inner strength. Anger, fury, frustration, hurt, bitterness, hate, fear, resentment, but also trust, confidence, courage and hope, they all are kind of mixed together, if having so many emotions is possible, that is. It gives me this new kind of strength. I feel powerful, so powerful that I push Finnick and actually managed to get him off of me.

I look at him in surprise, he's on his butt next to me, looking as shocked as myself. He stares at me in disbelief. Everything happened so quick, I didn't even realized what I had done until I was free and my instincts told me to me to run but then realization came over me, I wasn't really in danger.

"Well done." He says to me.

"Thanks." I manage to say. "I don't know where that came from."

"I do." Finnick says as he stands up. "From the inside, you are stronger than you think, you are better than you think. Do you believe me now? Somehow I can see what you can't see in yourself. You are really brave, Danie. Someone blinded you and made you believe you worth nothing but that isn't true. Do you realize you just pushed me off of you? A man that probably doubles your weight? I doubt any girl tribute can do that."