Chapter Three - best birthday ever

Conor's POV
                    When Katelyn and Amber pulled up, I herded everyone into the 'game room'. It wasn't much, out we had gotten permission to have small birthday parties in there. Katelyn opened the door, and Amber walked in with her, looking confused. The door slammed and the lights flicked on, and we all hollered "surprise!" Amber looked like she was about to cry, and I walked over and pulled her into a hug

                   "Happy birthday, beautiful." I whispered, kissing her on the cheek again.
                  "You- you didn't forget about my birthday! Today is the best birthday I've had since my mom died. First the concert, now this! I- I can't thank you guys enough for this." Hanna stood up, and a CD started, and she signed happy birthday to the music, and she even sang in a low, flat key, but it was still beautiful. We had a chocolate cake and a couple small presents for her, and at about nine-thirty, Miss O'Neill came to let us know we had fifteen minutes to lights out, so we did our speed-cleaning, and we were all in our rooms by nine-fifty. After I got to my room, I saw I had a text from Katelyn.

   K- 'Hey little brother. How'd the party go?' I growled under my breath. She knew I didn't like her calling me that.

    C- Fine. And don't call me little brother.
    K- why? It's true :)
    C- how about we not go there? :|
    K- Fine. Gotta go. Love ya =)
    C- love you too. =)

    I put my phone away and stared out the window. Katelyn had tried to get custody of me and Amber, but something had fallen through, and she didn't get us. I missed the way things were before mom and dad started getting drunk. We would have board games every Friday night, and movie night on Saturdays. Then, dad lost his job and he and mom came home drunk. Katelyn had gotten me to my room and I moved the dresser in front of the door, and she tried to get to her room, but I heard her screams and cries. She told me to not unlock my door no matter what, but then, they figured out how to get to me when we were older. I shook my head, changing my train of thought. Amber. I didn't know if what I felt for her, but it was, well....I felt good when I was around her. Timothy also wanted to date her, but she had never even looked his way. Why, I didn't know, but....no. She might prefer me, but that's....not possible. Oh well. I climbed into bed, and within minutes I was asleep.

          I woke up to yelling outside, and I saw Amber outside with Miss O'Neill and the social worker, Mrs. Thompson. Amber was cowering beside Miss O'Neill, who was waiting for Mrs. Thompson to stop yelling. I opened the window so I could hear a little better.

       "-You can't seriously be considering allowing them to foster her, are you?! They're some of those 'religious' people! Why would you do this?! They'll fill her mind up well, who knows what?" Miss O'Neill cleared her throat, and Mrs. Thompson stopped.

        "I will be going to Nashville personally tonight to see where it is that she will be staying. They will be in Nashville in two days, then Kentucky, and then they will be back home in Nashville. She will back allowed to travel with them while she's being fostered as long as we know where they will be and when. I will hear no more on this matter unless adoption is a possibility, and even then, I might say that you may not have any say in the matter. Am I understood?" Mrs. Thompson huffed and stormed away, and Amber relaxed. Miss O'Neill smiled at her, gently hugging her, and her phone rang, and she apologized, walking away. She turned and saw me watching, and she waved me over. I pulled on jeans and shoes and took off over the yard. I grinned at her, and she beamed at me.

           "Okay, what's going on here? I heard something about fostering you?" She grinned ear to ear.
          "There's a couple that decided to foster me. And guess who it is?" I shrugged.
          "It's Joel and Moriah Smallbone. I just don't get why they are doing this. I mean, in grateful for them doing this, but I don't get it." I laughed.
          "Really? I think they saw something in you that only a few people can see. I can see it on you. Katelyn can too." She blushed, and I thought I'd gone too far, but then she kissed me, and my brain just shut down. She pulled away, and spoke again.

         "Thanks. I needed to hear that. I hope this one works out." She took off, her brown hair streaming behind her.

         "I hope so too." I whispered.
         "I hope so too."