Chapter Eight - Court date

Amber's POV
Today was the day. For four weeks, we had been waiting anxiously, and today would decide what was going to happen, and which last name I would get. I wore the same outfit I work the first night I was with the Smallbones, my Respect and Honour bracelet, and my Priceless necklace. That day in the hospital, when I woke up to dad and mom waiting for me, dad taught me something. He taught me that no matter what happened, he would always love me, and that I am priceless. The drive to the courthouse was filled with Skillet's Monster, Hero, Never Surrender, and One Day Too Late. We arrived almost fifteen minutes early, and we were allowed to head on up to the stand, where Mrs. James, our lawyer, already was. She squeezed my hand encouragingly, and then minutes later, a man who looked like he was recovering from a hangover walked in, and took the other stand. When dad saw him, he stiffened, and mom put her hand on his. I shook as the judge came up. It was just me, mom, dad, Mrs. James, my so-called dad, his lawyer, the judge, the jury and the bailiff, but I was terrified. The bailiff started speaking.

"All rise! The court is now in session. Judge Taylor Murray presiding. You may be seated." I slipped my hand into dad's as we sat, and he gently squeezed it. The judge started speaking.

"Alright, We are here for a custody case between Steven Thomas and Joel and Moriah Smallbone, is that correct?" Both lawyers nodded.
"Alright. Will the prosecutor please stand and make your opening statement?" Steven stood, glaring at mom and dad.
"Your honor, as I have already said, Amber is my biological daughter, and several years earlier, I left because my wife was unstable, and I wanted to get Amber out of that home, and into a stable home." Judge Murray nodded, looking at my parents.

"Thank you. You may be seated. And, does the defendant have an opposing statement?" Dad stood, releasing my hand.

"Yes, your honor, I do. When Amber arrived at our home, she was labeled a 'problem teen' by her social worker, due to depression from her time in foster care and abusive and neglective foster parents. If he was trying to get her out of an unstable home, why did he not get her from foster care after she was originally placed in the system?" Judge Murray acknowledged the statement, looking back at Steven.

"He does have a point. Mr. Thomas, would you care to answer that?" He looked angry, and he glared at dad before answering.
"Yes. I was attempting to get enough money to provide for her well enough, since I just lost my job when her mother died." I winced, remembering the phone call the day before my mother killed herself. I tried to hide the wince, but Judge Murray still noticed.

"Amber, is something wrong with that statement?" I nodded, slowly standing, and when she made no objection, I spoke.
"Your honor, I don't remember much from before my mother committed suicide, but there is one thing I remember best, and that was a phone call from my biological father, and that was the day before she died. She was crying, and I remember being able to hear him yelling even though she was the one on the phone. I also remember hearing him say that he wished he'd never married her and, he wished I'd never been born, that I was a worthless brat." My voice shook as I said that, and she gave me a sympathetic look.

"Thank you, Amber. Mr. Thomas, is it true you called Heather Marie Thomas on," she looked at a paper.
"February 20, 1997?" He turned red.
"Yes, and I never meant any of what I said that day. I had just lost my job, and I had been evicted from my apartment." Judge Murray raised her eyebrows.
"You were evicted? So, does your eviction have anything to do with your not getting your daughter back? And, why were you evicted?" He winced.
"Money problems. I was- never mind." She looked at him.
"No, finish the statement. You were what?" His shoulders slumped.
"I was overspending and I spent money on alcohol. I've broken my addiction to it though." She nodded slowly, and I noticed several people on the jury whispering and writing things down.

"And," she said, turning to mom and dad.
"Has anyone in your family ever had drug or alcohol addiction in the last ten years?" They both shook their heads, and mom slowly raised her hand.

"If I may speak? I have something I'd like to say." The judge nodded, and mom stood up.
"A couple nights after we received the court date, he showed up at our house, demanding to see her. He seemed like he was drunk, as his voice was slurred, and he was unstable. He also cursed at my husband and was attempting to flirt with me." The murmuring from the jury got louder, and Steven was yelling at my mom. Judge Murray pounded her gavel, yelling for order. Finally, everyone quieted, except Steven, who was still protesting against what mom said. With a glare from the judge, he quieted.

"Alright now. We can't reach a decision like this. I've seen both homes, and I've heard what you have to say. Amber, would you please come with me?" I stood slowly, but I hesitated.
"May I ask why you need me?" She smiled gently.
"I would like to hear what you have to say without any other influences whatsoever. I trust Joel and Moriah haven't been trying to influence you?" I shook my head, going over to where Judge Murray was standing, and went through the door that she held open. She shut the door and motioned for me to sit down, and she sat across from me, turning a voice recorder on.

"Alright, Amber. I have a couple of questions for you. First, do you have a preference as to where you would like to live?" I nodded.
"Alright, who is that?" I took a deep breath, and I realized I was shaking.
"Hey, are you okay?" I shook my head.
"I- I'm scared. I know that whoever I don't choose is going to get really upset, and I don't wanna upset anyone." She put her hand on mine.
"It's okay. Don't worry about that. Just think about what I asked." I nodded, taking another deep breath.
"Okay. I would prefer to stay where I am, with Joel and Moriah." She nodded, writing something down.
"Alright. Why would you prefer to stay there?" I smiled gently, remembering what I said at the hospital.
"Basically, because of trust, and because of love. I trust them more than I've trusted anyone since my biological mother passed away. Also, I know that I love them, and I know they love me, not just sympathetic love. I mean real love. I attempted suicide again while with them, and for the first time, I woke up to them waiting for me to wake up. When I woke up, and I told them that I believe home is where the heart is, and my heart is with them. I love them, more than I could have ever imagined." She smiled.

"And they had no other influence other than their love in this answer?" I shook my head.
"I want to be somewhere that I know they truly love me, and I love them." She nodded, turning off the recorder.
"Alright, thank you, Amber." She picked up the recorder and her papers, leading me back out. I went back to the stand, and the jury filed into the room I was just in, and after what felt like forever, they came back out. Judge Murray went back up to the stand.

"All right, the jury has reached a verdict, and I have made my decision as well. We have decided, due to what we have seen and heard from the possible guardians, and also from Amber, we have decided that..."

Joel's POV
"- We have decided that Amber will remain where she is, and the adoption papers will be finalized as well. Court is dismissed." We headed out, and when we got to the car, Moriah and I both squeezed Amber in a hug, and she, well, she's stronger than she looks. When she hugged me, I could barely breathe. We finally had a daughter, and she finally had a family.

Author's note- Hey guys! Sorry this took so long. I had no Wi-Fi, and my tablet keyboard is killing me! It's doing the wrong letters, so I'm going to see if it'll cooperate tomorrow. Enjoy! Thanks 4 reading!!