-Blooming Iris Chapter 33-

Cover to the right is made by caucasianbf_lover :)

***

Iris' POV~

“In a minute sweetie,” Mrs. Anderson called out, urging us with her hands to hide.

Molly, Shane, and I all looked at each other, our eyes showing the same emotion; panic. Just where are we suppose to hide!? Even though it's a big office space, there's nothing to hide behind or underneath, without someone seeing you.

Mrs. Anderson probably caught on to this when she saw none of us moving. She mouthed the words 'closet' before pointing her fingers behind us. We looked around, following her directions. In the far back corner, there was a door hidden behind the layout of the room. I'm guessing that's the closet? But the question is, will it fit all three of us?

“Hurry,” she whispered, as she got up from her chair, straightening up her shirt.

“Mother?” Richard's voice filled the room. It held a slight confusion. He's probably wondering what's taking so long.

“Coming!”

As she went for the door, she waved her hand at us, telling us to go, and fast. We each gave her a slight nod. Tip-toeing across the room, Shane's hand twisted the knob as quickly and quietly as he could. When I saw the size of the closet I let out a breath of air I'd been holding. Thank God it wasn't as small as I had thought.

Getting inside, we shut the door as Shane hit the light switch. A bright glow illuminated the room, letting us clearly see everything. There were boxes of random items pushed against the far back wall. The floor was covered with hard marble tiles; making a picture of some sort. Wanting to listen in on their conversation, I decided to grab a seat on the floor, and pressed my ear against the door.

“What took you so long?” I heard Richard asked.

“I was organizing some of my papers,” she lied easily. “Now, please sit.” I could imagine her motioning her hands at the cushion seats, ushering him to take a seat.

As I heard the pounding of feet against the white-clear floor, I knew Richard had taken her suggestion.

“Now, what do need me for?”

“I need to talk to you about my marriage.”

My breath hitched when I heard that. Could it be? Is he going to cancel it? Is this finally the moment I'd been waiting for? For him to say, I love you?

“Alright.” She paused, “go on.”

“Well,” he began a bit hesitant, “I know that the marriage was arranged from the very beginning, but I would like to thank you for picking Molly as my bride.”

As I heard those words, I felt the stinging pain inside my chest. My heart—I could literally feel it breaking into two. This pain was worse than the time I saw my family's blank faces, staring at me with white eyes. I licked my lips, feeling a salty taste on my tongue. I blinked, as the drop of tears came crashing down suddenly.

“Iris,” a soft voice spoke. Feeling his smooth skin, I knew it was Shane. “Please, don't cry.”

My eyes drifted upwards, as I saw two concern faces mixed with guilt and anger. I guess the anger was aimed at Richard.

When their words hit me, I felt another warm tear rolling down my cheek, as it landed on my hand leaving a wet puddle. Staring at it, the cold truth finally sank in. Richard. He didn't like me anymore. He loves Molly. Maybe he never did.

“You do?” I heard Richard's alarmed mom's voice.

“Yeah. I'm beginning to really like her—maybe even love.”

“Iris, honey,” Molly said, bringing my attention to her. “You need to listen to me. He's just lying. He doesn't mean that. He could never love the character I made up. She was a stuck up barbie doll!” Even though she said that to make me laugh, it didn't work. All I could think about was Richard, and why he didn't love me anymore.

“Yeah, Iris,” he agreed. “He's just being an idiot,” Shane said through gritted teeth, his hands in clenched fists.

Even though they were both coming up with excuses, saying that Richard didn't mean it—making this all up—I didn't listen. Their words were blocked out by Richard's voice.

I'm beginning to really like hermaybe even love.