-Blooming Iris Chapter 20-

Iris' POV~  

"I guess we have to dance later," Shane answered sounding slightly annoyed giving me his pouting face.  

"Yeah." I nodded slightly.

We exchanged smiles and he took my hand in his, pulling me towards Richard and their mother. Everyone was surrounding Richard as he stood next to his cake. It was a plain simple vanilla cake, layered in beautiful designs fit for Richard.   

"Okay everyone, let's sing 'Happy Birthday' to my son, Richard," his mother announced, clapping her hands together.  

Everyone listened, and the DJ started playing the birthday tune as everyone started singing.  

I turned my attention towards Richard, and instead of a happy expression - he looked a little bit depressed.   

I wonder why? Shouldn't he be happy? I mean it is his birthday!  

As he looked up, his blue eyes met mine. He gave me this weird look, before his eyes landed on my hand. His eyes flashed with hurt, before he turned away, focusing on his cake instead.   

What happened? Why did he turn away from me?

Confused, I looked down to see Shane still holding my hand. Oh no, please don't tell me Richard thought we were together or something. I didn't want him to think bad about me. I'm not like those other girls!  

Maybe I should talk to Richard or something, but at the moment he's kind of busy cutting cake for people so-  

"Iris!"   

Huh? Snapping my head towards the voice, I saw Shane waving his hands back and forth in front of me.  

"Um, sorry." I blushed, "what did you say?"   

Sighing, he put his hands down. "I said, do you want cake?"  

Cake? Of course I want cake! What kind of stupid question was that? "Yes!"  

Chuckling he nodded. "Okay, be right back," he said, before he disappeared inside the crowd of people.  

A few minutes later a voice called behind me. "Here."

Confused I turned around to see Richard. Wait a minute...isn't he suppose to be cutting the cake now?  

"My mom is doing that at the moment," he said, reading me like an open-book, once again. He really does know what I'm thinking....  

"Oh, but Shane-"  

At the mention of Shane's name, Richard's eyes narrowed for a slight second, before he went back to normal.   

"What about him?"   

"He was going to get me cake."  

"Well, it's fine right? I mean cake is cake. Plus I got this piece of cake especially for you," Richard said, pushing the plate of yummy looking cake towards me. Ugh! He knows I have a weakness for food, especially desserts!  

Giving up, I took the piece of cake. Grabbing the fork on the plate, I started eating the cake like there's no tomorrow. Every bite melted in my mouth, the strawberry filling oozing down my throat. The rich creamy texture giving me that warm feeling, taking me to pure happiness. God, I love cake!   Feeling a pair of eyes staring at me, I looked up to see Richard's eyes dazed, watching me.  

Um....what is he doing? Does he want the cake or something?...Richard must of wanted some cake, but he didn't get to have some, because he was too busy giving cake to everyone else!