Epilogue

And finally...Thanatos, Lord of Death
************************************
Epilogue
Saphira's Point of View

"She should be waking up now"

"Yeah, what's taking so long?"

"Hush you two. Give her some room to breathe."

My eyelids fluttered open and I sat up quickly. My head collided with something hard and I groaned in pain.

"Geez, slow down Saph!" Aira complained, as she rubbed her forehead.

I looked at her in shock and I wondered if we were all dead.

Aira engulfed me in a hug, and I slowly put my arms around her. "We're not dead. I'm so glad you're okay," she mumbled in my hair. I giggled at her and pulled away, smiling. I peered around her and noticed Thanatos sitting quietly at the edge of the bed.

"I probably should send your mom a message. She's been worried sick," Aira said. I opened my mouth to ask her how my mom was but Aira cut me off before I could say anything.

"She's okay Saph. Mind-reader remember?" she winked and started to walk towards the oak door.
"Please tell her I love her and I will see her soon." I called out. My eyes flittered back Thanatos' hunched form.

I crawled over to the great deliverer of Death and boldly placed my palm on his cheek. Thanatos turned toward me and I gasped in surprise. A jolt of something exhilarating passed through my body as I stared into his violet irises. My heart began to race and butterflies fluttered in my stomach.

"Your eyes! But how-"

"I will explain everything to you. Just please lay down. You have been through a great ordeal. You need to rest," he said gently.

His tender words and placid behavior was so different than what I was accustomed to. I leaned back into my fluffy pillows and waited for him to continue. Thanatos recalled his argument with Aira, how he had made amends with Hypnos and told me earnestly how he flew faster than the speed of light to rescue me. He told me about the alliance they had formed with a werewolf, a vampire and a witch. I listened to his recollection of events with fascination.

"When you took that dagger for me, I-" he swallowed slowly, clearly having difficulty recalling that moment.

I took his hand in mine, relishing in the tiny sparks that danced across my skin. I took a deep breath to clear my head, "Go on."

Thanatos gripped my hand tighter before he continued, "I lost my self to a blinding rage. I almost destroyed everyone. I trapped Nicolas in a prison of my own making. You were so pale..."

"How did I survive?"

"After I imprisoned the bastard, I procured the antidote from him but it was too late. Hypnos tried to sustain you with his own life force but the wound was too great. It was Hades who brought you back to us. Mother told him of Nicolas's treachery and he felt obligated to help in some way. He returned with your soul before you crossed the River Styx. Hypnos placed you in a coma for about a month so you would be able to recover."

I stared at Thanatos, mesmerized by his purple orbs, "How am I able to see your eyes?"

"You have Zeus to thank for that. When the Gods learnt that they had been deceived, the immediately revoked my punishment. The tingles you feel is a sign that our bond has been fully established," he placed a chaste kiss on my palm.
I blushed.

"Why did Nicolas hate you so much?" I wondered out aloud.

"Nicolas was jealous Saph. Hades named me his successor until he found a suitable heir. Nicolas was outraged of course and vowed revenge. He never thought that he would get caught. He stole Hades' Helm of Darkness and has been manipulating the shadows to bend to his will. It's why he has gotten away with it for so long," Thanatos paused and his expression darkened.