Chapter 4

Chapter 5 -unedited-

Three days! Damn it, three days! It had been three days since my last mission. I had never imagined that "keeping a watch on you" would mean probation. My job description clearly printed that was supposed to be in the front line, but here I was watching a bunch of wolves dragging their feet across the field. 

Although missions were dangerous and horrendous, it was the lesser of the two evils. I never had the right patience to teach those younglings. Most of them didn't understand that slacking off was not a choice. In the battlefield, it was either live or die, but these kids were still too flamboyant during their training. They dragged their feet whenever they were near the door; they were hoping that I would call time, so that they could bolt inside as soon as possible. The lack of sweat on their bodies also told me everything I needed to know. From the looks of it, they had a burning desire to receive a good pounding from me.

These wolves were messing with fire. I smirked whenever I saw their little tactics and remembered each and every one who did it. After two hours of training, I pointed towards those who had been slacking and had a "nice" talk with them

"Run faster! Pick up your speed or else all of you will be eating grass for the next two nights!" My hands were balled into a fist, and my clipped nails dug into them leaving red crescent marks.

For once, some of these fools obeyed my commands and zipped across the field as though they were chased by devil himself.

"If I didn't know any better, I would have thought they were stupid to have taken that threat seriously." Even without looking, a vivid image of Scarlett sporting her famous Cheshire cat smile slowly invaded my mind. She had always found it funny that I threaten my team with vegetable. 

"It gets the job done, so I don't care how childish it sounds." Crossing my arms, I maneuvered so that I could face Scarlett and watch the training session at the same time.

"How are the little ones doing?" Scarlett asked, her glimmering blue eyes swept a glance at the newbies with interest.

Despite the nicknames we bestowed our new members, most of them towered over Scarlett and me. Not to mention they all had bulging muscle because of their genes and exercises.

"Man, I was hoping we get some more females this time around," Scarlett heaved a sigh. The pack was slowly becoming dominated by the males. Wherever we looked, from left, right, front, and back, there were too much testosterone sitting in one room.

"I know, I was hoping we would get some females also. They would become great undercover agents." As a female, most power hungry men would not suspect me as much as they would if I were a male. These men were usually prejudice about women--believing they should do nothing but stay home and give birth. In other words, they treat their wives as arm candies rather than intelligent beings.

Their crude banters about women always fired me up, but their narrowed mindedness made my job ten times easier.

"Now, should I take your arm or leg first for interrupting my lessons?" I shot her a playful glare knowing that she must had have found something important to nonchalantly waltz right into my session.

"Chill girl, I don't need you to get on my case too. Blaise almost chewed my head off for suddenly appearing in the middle of his class. Even though he forgave me when I showed him what I had found, I don't think I can handle another raging wolf today." If she hadn't before, her statement fully captured my attention. There were only two possibilities why Blaise had let her go without shredding her to pieces: either the world was going to end or she had an earth-shattering discovery.

The one thing Blaise hated the most was people interrupting his class. He would never let someone leave without sending his wrath towards him or her unless it was an important message. For all the years I had worked with him, he had only excused one person and that person was standing right in front of me.

Not wanting our babies to hear our conversation, I dismissed them. As soon as the last member scurried into the house I nodded my head to prompt her to start talking. My brain swirled, imagining all different types of scenarios before Scarlett spoke again. She opened her mouth and was about to speak, but then closed it again.

Without a heads up, she threw me a thick manila envelope and then mumbled, "See for yourself."

Shredding the package without care, I skimmed over the first page of the thick report. I read the document once. . . twice. . . three times. . . until I could memorize the whole page. My eyes couldn't believe what I was reading and seeing. There was no way this could happen. As a matter of fact, that feat was impossible to accomplish. Before I left the pack, it was still normal, so they couldn't possibly gain so much within three years. My brain couldn't form any coherent words or thoughts; I just stared at the paper for a long time until Scarlett called me again.

"Hey Aaria, are you okay? Do you see what I'm seeing?" She inquired with her brows bunched together. I knew she was just concerned about my reaction because Scarlett didn't need anyone's confirmation. Her data accuracy rate was always dead on no matter how difficult the project was. I had a basic idea as to why she was hesitant about reporting to me now. Although we never explicitly told each other about our past, our interactions between one another told all the stories that needed to be told. I bet she got the gist of my situation without even having to use her network.

"I don't get it, why are the figures showing so much growth? That number has been stable for years, so why the sudden boom?" Everything didn't match up to the normal statistics. Although the statistics may be different between one pack and another, they were never so volatile. It was as though they suddenly plunged and then rose up again like a rollercoaster.

"I know, I know. Blaise said the same thing today. I suggested that we move in as soon as possible, but. . ." Scarlett suddenly paused in the middle of her sentence.

"Please stop hesitating Scarlett, you're killing me right now," I half commanded, half plead. I wanted all the information that I could get, but she was once again in the midst of her own self-debate.

Taking a death breath, she finally spilled, "I'm sorry if this would offend you, but you asked for the truth so I will not lie. We wanted to move out as soon as possible, but Blaise and I are worried about you. We only have a vague idea as to what happened to you, so we wouldn't be able to protect you from your past. If we do leave for this mission, we will have to stay there until we get to the end of it." I didn't know whether I should cry or yell at their over indulgence.

"How many times did I say to him that I do not need babying. We can't drag this for any longer or else people will be in danger!" Furry towards my own weakness overwhelmed me. If only I were strong enough to withstand the pain. If only. However, there wasn't enough time for me to be selfish, if the lives of people were on the line, then I couldn't sit here and wallow in self-pity.

If they couldn't make the decision for me, then I would make it for them. With a calm yet determined tone, I told her, "I will go talk to Blaise personally. Go inform our selected members to grab everything we need. We're leaving as soon as I finish my conversation with Blaise."

"B-but Aaria!" Scarlett flustered over my decision, but chose not to comment on it any further. Her eyes flashed a sudden understanding and then she quickly ran out to inform the others.

Now that this was done, the only challenge I had left was him. Time to put on my persuasion cap. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Hello! I am sorry for not updating for months. I have been busy with school and everything has just been hectic. If you see any mistakes on this please do tell me! I am open to any suggestions. As usual if you like my story please comment, vote and follow! Have a nice week!