CHAPTER 1

With her head held high, my mother scanned the dense forest before us. Inhaling deeply, a sense of dread washed over her face, causing my heart to race in my chest. We had ventured into the woods to gather herbs for our cave dwelling, but something was clearly amiss.

"What's wrong, Mama?"

I asked, desperation lacing my words. The fear in my mother's voice was palpable, and it caused my sister to burst into tears. Without wasting a moment, we took off, our mother leading the way. As if our minds were intertwined, Mia and I transformed into graceful grey wolves. Our paws hit the ground in rhythm, propelling us forward with great speed.

Suddenly, a thunderous growl shattered the silence of the air. Glancing back, I saw a formidable brown wolf accompanied by two others, closing in on us swiftly. Igniting a newfound surge of adrenaline, we pushed ourselves even harder, running faster than we ever had before. And there, our mother remained at the forefront, guiding us through the wild unknown.

The sound of our pursuers grew louder with each passing moment, filling the air with an impending sense of danger. Panic surged through me as I turned to my mother, desperately seeking guidance.

"Mama, what do we do?!"

I pleaded, my voice filled with fear. In an urgent whirl, she spun around to face us, her eyes filled with determination.

"Run, my babies."

she commanded, her voice laced with fierce love. "Don't look back. Keep going straight for another five minutes, and you'll reach a street. I'll do everything I can to buy you time."

"Mama, no!" I protested, my voice trembling with panic. The unspoken bond between us amplified her words in my mind, and I knew the magnitude of her sacrifice. "I can't leave you behind. I'll stay and fight." Her voice strained, as if every word was an immense effort. "Kyle, whatever happens, you and Mia must keep going. Do you hear me? Kyle, do you hear me?"

As Mama spun around, Mia's gaze caught her tear-filled eyes, mirroring the mixture of sorrow and fear that radiated through their mind link. It was a heartbreaking sight, knowing that Mama was about to confront the two wolves chasing us. Despite the overwhelming odds, Mama's love for her children propelled her to fight, her courage shining through. Mia couldn't bear to see her in such danger, her heart aching to provide assistance.

"Mama..."

Mia cried out through their telepathic bond, her thoughts filled with a desperate longing to be able to help.

With our hearts pounding, we sprinted towards the clearing, our determination fueling every step. But as we arrived, our little paws skidded to a halt, revealing a daunting reality. A cliff, with the road far below, stood before us. Panic set in as a menacing snarl echoed behind us, causing us to whirl around and face the two massive wolves, their teeth bared and their snarls fierce. Instinctively, I positioned myself in front of Mia, using my body as a shield as we slowly backed away, our every movement drawing us closer to the edge.

To intimidate the wolves, I let out a roar, my gaze locked firmly with theirs. Amidst my fierce display, I strained my ears, hoping for the sound of approaching cars, a potential lifeline in this perilous situation. All the while, I continued growling and snarling, projecting an image of strength and defiance. Sensing the urgency of the moment, I mentally linked with Mia, instructing her to prepare for an imminent jump.

As the tension mounted, I conveyed my plan to Mia through our mind link, urging her to shift back to her human form when I gave the signal. Though her response reflected her fear, we both knew we had no choice but to face the impending danger head-on. The sound of a car approaching provided a glimmer of hope, and I braced myself for the leap that held our only chance of survival. Amidst the chaos, I whispered a silent prayer, hoping that fate would be kind to us in this critical moment.

Suddenly, one of the wolves lunged towards us, its intentions clear. With quick reflexes and desperate agility, we evaded the incoming attack, narrowly escaping its vicious jaws. In a split second, we made the daring decision to jump off the cliff, taking the wolf with us. As we descended, our bodies collided with the roof of a large bus, where we managed to steady ourselves by gripping onto its surface with our hands and feet, relying on our human instincts rather than our wolf counterparts.

A low growl disrupted the immediate aftermath of our landing, prompting us to turn our heads towards the source. The wolf that had shared our descent had been thrown off balance and was now tumbling into the nearby bushes, temporarily disoriented.

As the bus came to a stop, humans disembarked, their eyes widening in sheer astonishment.

"Oh my goodness!"

one of them gasped, their hand instinctively covering their mouth.

"They're just children!"

another exclaimed, pointing directly at us. We stood there, covered in dirt and completely unclothed, imagining the bewildered expressions on their faces as they took in our appearance.

Suddenly, one of the humans hurried back onto the bus and reappeared at the top hatch, a warm smile gracing her face as she held out a blanket towards us. She gestured for us to come closer, offering comfort and reassurance. In that moment, I felt a profound shift in the bond between my sister, mother, and myself. I turned to my sister, tears welling up in my eyes, and we both understood the heart-wrenching truth about our mother's fate.