Cold Winter Nights.

Everyday I would see her pass my house and everyday she looked freezing. It was mid December meaning the nights were icy and the streets were covered in snow. She passed looking like she was withering away in the cold. I felt more and more guilty each time not knowing how far she was heading or how far she had come from. All I knew is she wasn't enjoying it out in there in the cold. Her blonde hair almost looked like it had froze and little droplets of snow were coating her hair. She had the thinest looking cardigan on and no proper coat. I questioned where her coat was everyday but she never wore it. It almost made me feel even more guilty for the 4 parkas I had hung on my coat rack and the mug of tea I had in my hand. I watched her walk further from my house and head up the street towards the park where she disappeared into the darkness. Once again I didn't do anything to help her and I made a silent deal with myself to take her my parka out tomorrow whether she refused it or not.

Tomorrow came soon enough and it was around that time of day when the girl would walk past. I had gotten a new set of hat, scarf and gloves plus one of my parkas. Making sure it was the one with the fur lining on the inside. I saw her make her way onto the street and like before she looked like the cold was swallowing her. I made my way to the door and unlocked it to meet her down the end of the driveway. Slowly she dragged herself up the street not looking up to see that I was there. She then was in hearing distance of me and now was the time to speak up.
"Hi" I said and her head soon shot up and she showed me a weak smile.
"Erm, hello?" She questioned.
"I just see you walk past my house everyday and you seem really cold and the mother in me thinks you need a coat" I beamed "so here". I then reached out my belongings to her along with what I had bought. The look on her face almost made me wish I hadn't stepped one foot out of my house as she  looked at me like I had asked her to jump into a house on fire.
"Ok maybe not, I just thought I was being kind? Sorry if I offended you" I replied before taking a small step back towards my house. She just kept looking at me with one eyebrow raised and I was slightly intimidated. I took the scarf and took one step closer to her.
"Please just take the scarf, it's the least I can do" I said whilst wrapping it around her neck. I didn't wait for a reply and just made my way back inside my house. I looked out of the window to see her still there but holding the scarf. She wrapped it further around her neck and a small smile appeared on her face. She then carried on up the street and although it wasn't a pleasant exchange it made me feel like I at least helped a little.

The next day soon came and I was questioning what to do. I wanted to know more about the blonde girl. She looked so down every time she passed my house like she had the whole world sat upon her shoulders. She was so beautiful too. When I made eye contact with her yesterday she had the most beautiful blue eyes. Although her posture was slouched and her frame small she was stunning. I just wish she would let me help her. I knew there was a story that looked like many didn't know, she was hiding something. I wanted to so badly get her to open and tell me why she looks like she's been through so much. The only thing that was off putting was that intimidating glare she gave me when I offered her help. If the smile she gave once I was behind closed doors was for me then that wouldn't scare me. I walked into the living room with my cup of tea and glanced out of the window to see if she had started to make her way down the street. After I while I gave up until I saw a flash of blonde out of the corner of my eye. I looked out of the window to see the girl making her way down the street and to my surprise the scarf was firmly wrapped around her neck. I watched her until she had made her way past the window then sat back down. I then decided to go and make myself a pizza as I had bought all the ingredients to make myself a homemade pepperoni pizza. I started to make the pizza and was covered in flour when I heard the door bell. I wasn't expecting a delivery or any family over so I didn't know who it could be. I made my way over to the door and opened it revealing the blonde girl I had watched daily. I was surprised that she had even turned around and somehow made her way to my door.
"Hey" she said softly "I, erm. Just wanted to come say thankyou for the scarf I really appreciate it".
"Oh, no problem. It's cold out and I always see you pass looking cold. I just wanted to help" I admitted.
"Well thank you, I better get going" she smiled.
"Are you sure? You can come in!" I said bringing my hands from around the door. Forgetting that I was covered in flour. She then started to laugh at me and I felt slightly embarrassed.
"I really wouldn't want to intrude, you have already helped me out" she smiled.
"No! Don't be silly, that's nothing! I'm making pizza and little old me can't eat it all. So?" I said standing back to open the door to let her in. She nodded and made her way in. She took off her scarf and held onto it tightly. I offered to take it off her and placed it on top of the small pile of stuff I had offered her the night before making a mental note that when she leaves she will take it all.