The Ball

I shook my head in annoyance because this was at least the 5th time I had asked my Mum if I could stay home. This was the 5th time she had said no and to get ready. It was all my brothers fault really as he was the one taking us to this silly ball in the first place. He'd been accepted as an intern to a major finance company and each year they would have a big get together and this year they decided to hold a masquerade ball. This meant getting dressed up fancy and wearing masks but the worst part was you had to bring along all your family. So when he came home with the invites my Mum was ecstatic and was already finding a dress to wear.

Me on the other hand having just split up from my girlfriend last week wanted nothing better than to sit on the sofa in my PJs watching Friends re runs. I didn't want to go to some stupid ball.
"Perrie, you need to come. It will help you forget that Sophie even existed" my Mum said whilst running the straighteners through my hair. She was right, I had locked myself away for the past week and I needed some fun. This wasn't my idea of fun. I let her carry on sorting out my hair and once she had done I applied my make up. Mum brought in the white gown she had bought me and it was stunning. It hugged my figure then went into a fish tail at the bottom. I decided to give in and just go, I can complain later.

We walked into the hall it was being held at and it was filled with over a hundred people. This made me feel sick as all these people meant awkward encounters and being introduced to Jonnie's colleagues. I soon saw the food table and my tummy, as if on cue, rumbled slightly. I slowly broke away from my Mum and smiled as she knew where I was going. I got a plate and started to put on some of the food. Once done I started to look around for a place to sit and eat but there wasn't one. No chairs or tables just an open ballroom. I looked to my left and saw a small staircase leading up with a sign saying balcony and took my chances to go up there. I made my way up and through the doors to see a small table at one end and a long balcony that over looked the grounds. I ate my food and decided I would sooner spend my night up here where I can faintly here the music and look at the night sky. Although thinking time wasn't the best thing for me right now I just needed a space to clear my head. I rested my arms on the ledge of the balcony and let out a lengthy sigh.
"You know being alone isn't the right way to solve your problems" I heard a voice say lightly behind me. I was startled and quickly spun round with only my clutch as a weapon. When the girl saw my reaction she just lightly laughed and pulled my arm down. Once I met her eyes I quickly became nervous as she was gorgeous. It didn't help that we had masks on but all I could see were her eyes. The mask only made them stand out even more and I became lost for words.
"I've seen you tonight, wandering around like a lost puppy. Looking like you have the whole world on your shoulders. Then I saw you come up here and it only confirmed my worries" she said softly. Her voice was soothing and very calm one you instantly melted into. "You're very quiet aren't you".
"I-er, you startled me. I'm trying to recover from that" I said whilst taking interest in my hands. I don't know if it's because of the break up or just because of how beautiful she is but I felt the need to know more about this girl. "I'm Perrie by the way".
"Edwards sister right?" She asked to which I nodded "Jonnie is super cool".
"How do you know him?" I asked in confusion.
"You see, my Dad and brother run the whole company. So I'm constantly at these events and meeting staff. Jonnie is cool, he always speaks about you" she smiled. Nothing embarrassing I hope. "Judging from how you've been all night, plus coming alone. You've broken up with your partner, correct?"
"Erm, yeah! But that is none of your business" I snapped back.
"I know it isn't" she said remaining calm "I just remember Jonnie saying you were bringing your girlfriend and she isn't here".
"OK inspector. You got me! She split up with me last week because I wasn't ready to have sex with her. You satisfied now?" I chocked out as my eyes began to fill with tears. I turned around and looked over the landscape not wanting to give this girl my time of day. I'd managed to keep it together all night and now I'd broke down because of her. She made her way over to the banister next to me and rested on it.
"Beautiful view isn't it" she sighed "we hold events here often and you're the first person I've seen come up to my little get away".
"I just wanted somewhere private to eat my food" I managed to mutter.
"Jonnie says you are ruled by your tummy" she laughed whilst nudging me lightly. I didn't respond as I totally wasn't in the mood. "Ok Perrie, how about this".
"How about what?" I snapped getting bored of her presence.
"You give me tonight to try and take your mind away from your ex. We have around 3 hours left of this party and I don't know about you but being down there isn't my thing. I know this hall like the back of my hand so how about I show you a good time" she smiled whilst reaching her hand out to me. I really wanted to be alone right now but she was undeniably beautiful and I had nothing else to do. So I found myself nodding and grabbing onto her hand.
"Wait, I don't even know your name" I said stopping myself from walking with her.
"Jade Thirlwall" she smiled "now come on darling". I followed Jade out of the balcony and towards the staircase. We made our way down and back into the main hall. As I came down my Mum made eye contact with me and smiled. I smiled back whilst carrying on being dragged by Jade. She took me to a door which two tall guys were stood infront.
"Hi Dan, hi Paul" she smiled and they moved out of the way to let her through "ok so this is where it gets fun because no one gets past here".
"So how come you did?" I asked.
"Well we own this hall, it's my Dad's little investment" she laughed. She was rich then and I suddenly felt out of my element. She carried on dragging me down a small corridor and stopped infront of a tiny door. "This is without doubt the smallest toilet in the world".
"Oh my god" I laughed once she opened the door "I think barely anyone could fit in there".
"You see Perrie, there are benefits of being this small" she laughed whilst squeezing in. She sat down on the toilet lid and just carried on giggling. She really was adorable and her laugh sent a wave of butterflies through me. "Ok on with the rest of the tour".
"Where to next?" I asked.
"I want you to meet our chef, she's like my aunt. I've known her for years" she told me whilst grabbing back onto my hand and leading me to a door labelled "Kitchen". We slowly made our way in and there was a number of stuff preparing the food I had seen on the buffet. "Auntie Rose" Jade called out and a lady with a chef hat came round and hugged Jade.
"Hello darling, I wondered when you would come down. I've miss you swe- who's this?" She quickly looked at me and her eyes widened.
"This is Perrie" Jade smiled "I'm showing her around".
"Have you shown her the night garden yet?" Rose asked.
"Not yet that's our last stop" Jade smiled "we better get going, only 2 and a half hours to go". Jade then said bye to Rose and dragged me out of the room again. We explored all the different rooms and Jade was explained all the different paintings and where they were from.