Chapter 1

"The woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself"
-Susan B Anthony

Samantha in mm.

Samantha's POV

I make my way across the club to join my closest set of friends sitting at the bar. I haven't seen Bethany, Skylar, Simone, Lea and Rylan in approximately three months because I've been away on business in France. I own a collection of hotels under the name 'The Stone's hotel'. Once I reach within hearing range I shout over the music "What are we drinking ladies?"

I am rewarded with smiles and I'm instantly encircled by their arms.

"I thought somebody would have to die before we got to see you again." Came Rylan's snarky comment. I just laughed at her and ordered a sex on the beach drink, I've just been busy with work that's all.

While we are there catching up a man about 6'1 with a tanned and blemish free skin walks up to me. His lips are full and his eyes the most intense grey I have ever seen. He is dressed in dark ripped jeans and a white t-shirt along with a leather jacket and his hair has that I just got out of bed look. If I had no self-restraint maybe I would have jumped him right then and there.
However all his good qualities fades as he opens his mouth.

"How about you let me buy you a drink baby doll and then we can go back to my place?" he slurs pushing up on me.

"I have my own money baby doll." I reply in mockery slightly stepping back because he was too close for my liking plus his breath stinks of hard liquor.

Did he really expect me to say yes? Excuse me but I have self-respect, a man will not just come up to me and talk like that and expect me to fall in his hands I'm not naïve.

Anger is evident in his eyes due to the rejection and he leans in so that our faces are inches apart.

"I always get what I want bitch" he whispers and I try my best to keep my face expressionless.

"I do too and right now I want personal space" I say using my hands to ease him off me after which he flips me off and leaves.

The rest of my night is spent drinking, dancing, chatting and just having a great time with my girls . I was having fun but I ensured that I didn't drink too much because I have an important meeting in the morning with a potential investor and I can't afford to be hung over for that.

***********

Heading out to work I stop and check myself once again. My hair is in a slick high bun or as slick as a black girl can get her curls.I'm wearing a black pencil skirt which reaches just below my knees, a red V-neck blouse accompanied by a black jacket. My make-up is lightly done and I have a red bag attached to my arm and a pair of red shoes on my feet.

I smile in approval and make my way to my 2018 red and white Honda civic. I do like the finer things in life but I'm also very simple.

Driving off I try to get some terms straight for a negotiation I have today. I want to put a branch of my hotel in Seattle; however, the best spot available is already under construction for the Jones' hotels so last week my PA went to a meeting with the CEO and came up with the terms of a contract that says we will merge the two companies for that branch. The contract was faxed to me and was signed and faxed back over. Today Mr. Jones will be coming to see me so we can discuss the details of the merge.

I built my company from nothing to where it is today. I remember when I said I was going to borrow a loan from the bank my friends thought I was crazy at first because the bank had already denied a smaller loan that I requested. I was making $6 a hour and I did over time as much as I could have gotten it.