Chapter 3

Happiness is a journey not a destination.
-Ben Sweetland

Samantha's POV

I leave bed and drag myself to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. I open the refrigerator and grab a bottle of water also.   I spin the cork and down almost the entire bottle of water. I have to have a bottle of water before anything else in the morning. It's essential.

I take my mug with coffee and move towards the couch to catch up on some tv while I drink. The hot beverage soothes over my nerves and gives me just the right amount of energy to start my day.

The sun is rising and the weather is just perfect. It's about 6 am so I head back up to my room and throw on a sports bra and some tights with my white Nike sneakers and pull my hair into a ponytail. I strap my phone to my upper arm and head out for my normal Saturday morning routine.

I jog for about an hour just listening to music and allowing my mind to wonder. I remember when I was younger and my dad would beat the shit out of me for smallest things I did. I swear if coughed I got hit and if my mom even breathe she got the shit beat out of her. She tried to change him though. I don't know if she stayed with him out of love or if it's because he was the one who made the money. I just vowed to myself that I'll never be in a situation where I'll stay in a toxic relationship because I can't sustain myself.

Entering the cemetery I sit exactly where I sit every Saturday morning. Reaching out my hands I caress the small yet fragile head stone

"Hey baby." I caress the head stone with a sad smile playing on my lips.
When I was 19 I got pregnant i wasn't happy about it but every child is a blessing and I was grateful. My entire pregnancy was a risk but I decided to take it. During labour I had some complications but the baby was born, however he only lasted 3 hours after birth. After that my boyfriend left me, he said I was a constant reminder if the child he lost.

I spent about half an hour in the cemetery before heading off to work. Walking into the building I wave at the receptionist and she picks up the phone to inform Patrick of my arrival.

This is my normal Saturday morning routine. I go for a run at 6, make a stop at the cemetery and then head to work. When I arrive the receptionist informs Patrick and he sends somebody to go get my car while I change in the basement of the building which can be classified as an apartment. It has 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and a sitting area.

Stepping into the apartment I head straight to the bathroom. I spend about 15 minutes in the shower trying to wash away my memories.

I step out of the bathroom and step into the bedroom across the hall. Pulling out a black lace set of underwear I put them on and move to the closet to retrieve a navy blue dress with a sweetheart neckline. The dress stops exactly above my knees and hugs my figure perfectly. I draw for a pair of red shoes along with a red Michael Kors handbag. I put my hair in a bun and decide to go with only lip gloss today.

I step out of the elevator and unto the 40th floor to be greeted with a bright smile from Patrick as he puts my spare car keys in the glass cabinet where I have some other keys stored before heading off to his office as I do the same.

When it's around 3 in the evening my office phone rings

"Stone speaking" I mutter distractedly.

"Hey baby doll have you had lunch as yet?" Jack's husky voice comes from the other line.

"No I actually didn't " I reply realizing I only had a cup of coffee since morning.

"OK. I'll be there in 5" he hangs up.