Making a List, Checking It Twice

Barbra Gordon walked through the snow that had covered the New England area. In dumps like Bludhaven and Gotham, the white, puffy blanket was already turning to a dark gray slush. Completely unappealing and unwelcomed. But Babs was undeterred by the eyesore of slush as she increased her pace. She had the route memorized, she was confident that she could make it in her sleep if she weren't worried about the gangsters that wandered the city, even at Christmastime.

She stopped outside a small apartment complex on the corner, and eyed a window on the third floor. She was the only one who'd even been able to talk to Rick since he left.

The wind whistled through the bricks as she made her way up the staircase she never trusted, though quick feet and agile reflexes kept any boards from crumbling away beneath her.

Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door to his one-bedroom apartment.

"Come in," Was all he said. Barbra slowly turned the knob and wondered if she'd just gone back outside.

The papers covering the floor made it look like it had snowed inside. Being Batgirl had taught Barbra to never underestimate her teammate and best friend, but this was crazy.

"What's all this?" She asked, laying her purse and her coat on the back of a kitchen chair. She approached Richard, still in his costume with his mask laying on top of a stack of nearby papers, and he barely nodded a greeting.

"Christmas plans."

Barbra crossed her arms. "Planning on surprising someone?"

"A lot of people, actually." Richard leaned back his chair to type a few things into the laptop sitting on the nearby counter.

"Here," Babs took the computer and placed it in front of him, just managing to catch the panicked look on Rick face when she saw what was on the screen.

"Speed Force: A Study by Doctor Harrison Wells." She read aloud. "Rick, what is this?" She knew very well what it was.

"I'm just trying-"

"Rick, it's been months! If Flash and the League had a way to bring him back he would be back!"

"The League has given up!" Rick snatched the laptop from her and slammed it shut. "I haven't."

With a sigh, he sat down again, placing the laptop in front of him, and his head in his hands. Barbra sat down next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I can't give up." He whispered. "Wally didn't deserve to die. Artemis and Bart didn't deserve to lose him."

"Life isn't fair, Rick." Barbra choked.

"I know." He said weakly.

Barbra looked around the room again, at the mess strewn everywhere. Rick was her friend. Her best friend. And it was Christmas, a time for wishes to come true. 

"I'll help you." She said, shoving away the thought of how crazy this was.

Rick looked up at her, shocked that she would do such a thing.

"You....you Will?" He asked.

"Eh, it's Christmas. And Fate knows we need a Christmas miracle for this. "

Rick could hear the disbelieving undertone in her voice, but he didn't care.

"Alright!" Heshoved his laptop to the side and pulled out a sheet of paper with a list of names on it.

"Including you, there are fifteen people on the team-"

"Fourteen. La'gaan quit." 

Nightwing's eyebrow went up, but he didn't question. Aside from Miss Martianand Aqualad, no one really liked the fishy guy. But now M'gann and La'gaan had broken up, and since Kaldur was back, Nightwing guessed there really wasn't a place for Lagoon Boy on the team anymore.

"Okay, fourteen. This is good." He folded up the paper and handed it to Batgirl.

"I need you to go to the warehouse and get me everyone's Christmas wish."

Since I end up having to clarify this way too often, I don't like using the nickname "Dick" for Nightwing. If you have a problem with it, it's not mine. In this story (And all my other stories) he is Rick or Richard.

Okay, I lied last chapter. There will only be fifteen chapters, and I have each planned out. Next chapter will be from Static's Point Of View.

Comment and Vote please!

~Lizardgurl