Silent Night

Everyone was eating, talking, drinking hot chocolate (or pineapple juice if you were a speedster).

Everyone was having so much fun, and Jaime was too. But more than anything, he wanted to go home.

Jaime checked the time again. 11:30 pm. If he hurried, he could zeta to El Paso and make it to the church in time to meet his family.

Trying not to attract attention, Jaime headed for the tubes, clutching his Bible in his hand. But of course, Bart had to notice.

"Heya her-man-o! Enjoying the party?" Bart threw his arm around Jaime's shoulder, the end of his Santa hat dangling in front of his face.

Jaime helped Bart turn his hat around. "I wish I could, ese, but I have to get home. My parents wanted me to go to chruch with them and my little sister tonight."

Bart looked confused. "Don't you go to church on Sundays?"

"Yeah, but it's Christmas."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

  Jaime sighed, slapping his forehead. He checked the time again. 11:35. 

"Look, I'm sorry, Bart, but I don't have time. I'll tell you later, okay?." Jaime made a dash for the tubes, but stopped when the computer announced.

"Zeta-tubes offline due to extreme atmospheric conditions."

"Great. Just great." Jaime moaned.

"Dude, what's wrong?" Gar, Virgil, Tim, and cassie surrounded Jaime, wondering why he was so excited to leave the party.

In his pocket, Jaime's cell phone buzzed.

"Hola, Mama."

"Jaime, we're waiting for you. Are you coming?"

"I wish I could, Mama. the zeta-tubes are offline because of the snow, and I'm stuck in Bludhaven." Jaime moaned.

"Snow!" His mother exclaimed. She sighed. "Then stay there for the night. Come home as soon as the tubes are operable."

"But what about you guys?" Jaime asked quietly, clutching his Bible in the hand not holding his phone. "I don't want to miss mass."

"It's alright, Jaime. God will understand." His mother promised him kindly.

"Jaime! It's me, Milagro!" Jaime chuckled at his little sister's voice as she took over the phone. "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, hermana. Be a good girl for Santa."

"Love you, Jaime! Good night!"

Jaime hung up the phone. Ignoring his friends, he trudged up the stairs to the loft. Below, all the couples were cuddling with blankets and cocoa, and M'gann's cookies were almost gone.

They don't understand, Jaime thought sadly. Sure, it was great to have Wally back and to spend time with the entire team for Christmas. Karen and Aqualad's new girlfriend were hitting it off really well, and he'd heard Batgirl wondering if they should invite Kiran to join the team. Bart and the others were happier than Jaime had seen them in forever, and Nightwing was back too. It seemed like the perfect Christmas Eve.

"Your concern for this religious ritual is trivial, Jaime Reyes. Why do you not join your friends?" Scarab asked.

"You don't understand!" Jaime tried not to shout at himself. "None of you do!"

"What don't we understand?"

Trying no to look red, Jaime turned to face Nightwing, who was watching him from the top of the stairs.

"Do you guys even know the real meaning of Christmas?" Jaime asked rudely. He crossed his arms and looked away, leaning deeper into the couch.

Bart zipped up, sticking his head out from behind Nightwing with his Santa hat still swinging back and forth. "I knew there was something missing!"

Jaime looked at his friend with surprise. Bart took a flying leap and jumped on the couch, landing  next to Jaime.

"So what is Christmas really about?" Bart cocked his head.

"Uh...Well..." Jaime ran a hand through his hair as he trailed off. Cassie, Tim, Gar, and Virgil climbed the stairs after Bart, only making Jaime more nervous.

"Well, it's about a baby born over two thousand years ago, to save the world. His name was Jesus Christ, and..." Jaime couldn't think of the right way to explain it.

Nightwing nodded at the Bible still gripped in Jaime's hand.

"Why don't you read it to them, Jaime?" He asked.

"Hey, why don't you tell all of us!" Bart suggested. He leaned over the railing of the loft, calling down to everyone below, "Hey guys! Jaime's gonna read a story!"

One by one, Jaime's teammates crowded into the loft. Jaime wanted to make a break for it, but Wolf lay at his feet, keeping him from running away.

"Hey," Nightwing put a hand on Jaime's shoulder as everyone quieted down. "I'll read it to them if you don't want to."

Jaime looked at his Bible, confidence slowly growing within him.

"It's okay, 'Wing, I got this." Jaime opened the book with a flourish, turning the worn pages to the familiar story.

"It all starts it the book of Luke." he told them.

Everyone leaned forward to hear, and Batgirl dimmed the lights.

As Jaime respectfully read the story, a warm feeling accompanied each of the words. 

Yes, it was good to be together and to be thinking of others on Christmas, but this was even better.

This was the true meaning of Christmas.

Dude, Jaime sounds like me when he's upset XD

I am sorry if this is not how you celebrate Christmas, but Christmas is more than just presents and mistletoe and friends. This chapter is one of the main reasons for why I wrote this story (in addition to my very long list of problems from season two).

Expect an epilogue either today or tomorrow.

Merry Christmas Eve,

~Lizardgurl