Chapter 13

The thundering stomping came nearer and nearer, until it reached the door. The door of the shed flew open, and an angry face glared in, slightly red. His eyes landed on me, and a women pushed beside the man, gazing in. She let out a shriek of terror, waving at Frost and I as if we were irritable bugs.

The man nodded slowly, disappearing for a moment. The girl's face appeared, a fearful look on her face. The women shooed her away, but not before the girl pointed out the door, motioning for us to go.

Frost didn't miss the chance. She leaped to her paws, pelting out the door and passing the women, who shrieked again and leaped out of the way, running away to the safety of her mansion. She didn't run very fast in her dress, though.

I didn't have a choice but to follow shortly after, bolting out and following Frost's waving white tail. I spotted the man at the entrance of the mansion with something in his arms, but he put it aside, throwing his arms in the air and charging after us.

I didn't glance back as Frost and I made a swerve to the wall instead of the forest. I cast a sad glance at the forest. Was Mother still inside there? We've waited for days, but maybe she's still inside, lost and fending herself.

The man stomped and sped at us, his arms going forward and backward, but I could hear him stumbling several times in the chase. His steps sounded more and more behind as I sped towards the wall.

Frost reached it, trying to jump up and reach the wall, but she was just a bit off. I glanced behind us. The man stopped in the middle of the field, on the ground, heaving. The women hid at her mansion still, and the children just watched us. The man motioned at the children, yelling something with a panting voice.

I spotted several more people coming out, pointing at us and the man, then talking to the women. They were also wearing dresses, but weren't as fancy. One seemed to have a cloth slung over a shoulder, starting to scrub a window.

The man motioned again at the children, shouting. The girl turned to the boy, her mouth moving as she said something inaudible.

She then turned to us, and started racing towards us. A lump formed in my throat. I turned to the wall and Frost, who was trying to leap off he bushes and onto the wall, but he bushes always gave in.

I tried leaping onto the wall, my claws almost reaching it. I glanced behind me. The girl was much quicker than the clumsy man, and she was gaining quickly!

I glanced at Frost. I climbed onto the highest bush I could find, meowing hurriedly, "Hurry! Climb on me and jump!"

Frost cast me skeptical glance, shaking her head. Then she glanced back at the girl, her gaze widening in fear. She jumped onto my back with-fortunately-sheathed claws. She hunched her hind legs and leaped, her forepaws stretching to the top of the wall.

Her two front paws reached onto it, and she scrambled up, her hind legs kicking under her violently to give her the boost she needed to scramble up.

I winced when she pushed her paws on my back, and I stretched. I tried climbing up again, reaching for Frost's tail as she offered it, but it was too smooth and I didn't get a good grip. I slid back down again, my heart beating quickly.

I glanced behind, just as the girl reached me, panting. I shrunk down. I couldn't make it out. Frost would have to go by herself.

I heard the pattering of Frost's paws retreating farther away, then disappear. She must have leaped off to the other side of the wall.

I hoped Mother would find Frost soon, when she did find her way out of the forest.

I closed my eyes as I sensed the girl's arms reaching towards me, grasping my fur.

I wouldn't make it out again.