25. Since when do cannibals fall in live with their food?

KATS POV

Charlies been acting weird the last few days. Every once in a while he'll just lean over and play with my hair, or run his fingers down my arm. Which wouldn't be that weird, if he didn't have this really far away look on his face.

It makes me worry, maybe he's getting sick. Or maybe he's finding it to hard to resist all the human flesh around him. Or my worst fear, maybe he's finding it hard to be with me. Maybe he wants to leave, and not bring me with him.

I think I fear that more then I fear thunder and lightning.

Another fear that I have lately is how hard it is not to tell him I love him. Sometimes I just want to blurt it out, but what if he doesn't say it back? Then I'll look like a loser.

I mean I think he loves me, the way he acts says he does. But I'm not sure, and I don't want to take that chance and scare him away if it's not true.

Right now we're curled up on the couch and I'm barely paying attention to the T.V. as all that races though my head. I turn my head to look at Charlie and see he's watching me instead of the cartoon.

"What?" I ask him. His hand comes up and touches my face.

"You're beautiful you know that?"

I blush and shrug my shoulders, "Not really."

He looks far away again, "You don't even realize how other men look at you, do you?"

I turn so that I'm on my back and looking up at him, "I only care how you look at me."

Someone starts clapping off to the side and we both sigh, "What now?"

Jared shrugs grinning and sits on the chair across from us, "Oh nothing, I just came here to tell you guys something, but then I saw that perfect moment and couldn't help but clap." Sarcasm drips from his voice and Charlie sighs again.

"What are you hear to tell us? If you try to fight me again we'll just tie you up and throw you somewhere."

He shakes his head and stands up going over to examine a picture of me, "No, I came here to say that I no longer need Kat."

I raise an eyebrow, "What?"

He sets down the picture lightly and turns towards us, "I met someone. She saw me on the trash cans and rushed over to help. Claimed I was the saddest thing she'd ever seen. She brought me home and guess what? Both of her parents are dead, she already got her inheritance."

"So now you're going to force her into marriage?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "Nope that's not going to be necessary, you see... well to put it nicely she's a loser. She's a major nerd, and has probably never been on a date before. Do you know how easy it's going to be to make her fall for me?"

"Maybe she'll be smart enough to see how ugly you are on the inside." I spit at him.

He shakes his head, "Nope, all she's seen so far is the good looks, the sad story of how I ended up on top of trash cans, and my charm."

"How did you end up on those trash cans?" Charlie asks.

"Some gang beat me up and all I remember is passing out." He examines his finger nails.

"Yeah, a gang." I say laughing.

He shrugs, "Doesn't matter, anyways just came to say that I was finished with you both."

"Thanks." I say dryly.

He shrugs, "No problem." He turns to leave and is about halfway out the door when he turns and says, "Oh hey by the way Kat, her body isn't nearly as good as yours, so I am sad that she won't be as much fun in bed."