Equivalent Exchange

<><>Alphonse's POV<><>

"Hey, that suit of yours..." the girl I believe named Aurelia says, "it's empty, right?"

Wh- what!? How did she know? She hasn't even seen it...

As if she could read my thoughts, she replies, "I've practically mastered the Purification Arts, so I'm an expert as sensing chi. I can't sense chi underneath your armor."

Aurelia turns to Brother. "This is connected with your secret, right?" Ed looks shocked for a moment, then nods. "But not here," he says, "because people can overhear us."

Mustang smirks. "It's an agreement, then. We're all going to my office to exchange information."

I follow the Colonel, along with Ed and the girl. Soon enough, we reach the HQ, and enter Roy's room.

"Wait," I say. "Brother, and you, too, we need some medical tape for you or something. You've got cuts everywhere-" However, Aurelia motions me to stop.

"Stay still," she orders. To everyone's surprise, she draws a circle similar to a Transmutation Circle on the ground beneath Ed. Once done, she places her hand on it.

Blue light immediately erupts from the surface, and after a giant flash of complete brightness, Brother's wounds are sealed up.

"Now for myself," Aurelia mutters, ignoring our gawks of incredulity. After the healing process is complete, she sighs, and lounges in a chair.

"After a fight, using mending alkahestry can tire you." She yawns and stretches. Ed says, "thanks. So, alkahestry can also heal, too?"

Aurelia nods, answering, "alkahestry is, indeed, actually more useful in helping. That still doesn't mean it can't be used for battle."

I change the subject. "So... we should tell you everything. But in exchange, you tell us about yourself." She murmurs something under her breath, but I can't hear it well.

"Hm?" I ask. "What'd you say? Something about 'unable to answer'?" The girl shakes her head. "No, just talking to myself. Anyways. Your story. Go."

With the help of Brother and Mustang, we tell her about our late mother, our alchemy teacher (just thinking about Teacher scares me ;-;), and our failed attempt of Human Transmutation.

"That explains your automail. And now, you're researching the Philosopher's Stone so you can regain your bodies?"

"Yeah," I reply. "That sums it up. And now, it's your turn."

<><>Edward's POV<><>

She begins. "Do you remember... the nation which was wiped out in a single night? 400 years ago?" I nod. "The ancient region Xerxes; its destruction was supposedly caused by the Philosopher's Stone."

"That's correct. And, also, do you remember the question you asked to me before? Where am I from?" Again, I nod, saying, "you told us you were from Xing, but you stopped."

She sighs. "It's only natural for me to recognize I'm not native to Xing. So I believe I'm Xerxesian."

...

"EHHHHHHH!?"

I start to mumble and stutter. "No way- that's impossible- Xerxes... 400 y- years ago! Annihilated! Every- everyone- vanish! You can't be Xerxesian-"

A glint of curiosity appears in her eyes. "Yet, you... never mind."

(A/N: They do not know they are part Xerxesian yet, and about Hohenheim.)

"Bu- but then, how? That's impossible!"

Aurelia shakes her head. "At first, I thought so, too. The country disappeared in a single night, 400 years ago. There would be no survivors, so I couldn't be a descendant from them."

"But," she points out, "I never had real parents. I was in a... coma."

As she said this, the Colonel leans forward in his seat. I was fairly interested, myself. "A coma?" I inquire. "Who saved you? And how?"

"Luckily, a traveler from- you guessed it- Xing came across me, as an infant, wrapped up in a couple blankets. She healed me with alkahestry and woke me up. The only word I remembered was 'Xerxes.'"

Continuing, she says, "I was grateful to her for taking me in. Of course, because of my looks, I automatically knew I didn't belong. I was an outsider."

At this point, even if she called me short and a shrimp... I actually started to take some pity on her. But I never show it.

Because Al and I? Same concept. We didn't want others to look at us and say, "poor boys. They lost their parents when they were younger."

Anyways.

"I decided I didn't need anyone to take my hand and guide me there. I went out on my own to solve the mystery of, well, me, after my foster parents died... No, after they were murdered."

Murdered, huh? At least you didn't attempt Human Transmutation.

"Umm... I know this is a rather tender question," Al nervously and quietly says, "but who... who caused their deaths?"

Her face is now cloaked with shadows. "It was a surprise attack. No one saw it coming. The clan wars of Xing are still raging on, and it had claimed their lives."

Even Mustang couldn't think of any funny to replace the dead silence.

"I'm sorry." My words surprise even myself. The look she gives me is a weary one. "I can't reflect on the past forever. And you, of all people, should know that."

"Yeah."

Colonel sighs. "Aurelia, in short, what you're saying is that... you believe you are from Xerxes, as that was the only word you ever remembered when you awoke from your coma. Your goal is to find out your true identity. Then, if this is the case, what brings you to Amestris?"

The girl casts her head down slightly. "Colonel Mustang... we all know dangerous events are occurring here. I have a strange gut instinct that I'm involved. And, while I'm at it..."

She gives a grim smile. "Why not help save a country, as well?"

The Colonel smirks. "Despite your dedication to your goals, you can't help but aid another country that's not your own?"

Aurelia nods.

"How about," the Colonel proposes, "so that you can access normally restricted information..."

My eyes widen. He's going to drag another innocent into this!?

"...you join the military?"

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

DUN, DUN, DUNNN! Cliffhanger! (Not really lol) but anyways, that was kind of a boring chappie, but hey, every story has those ones. Plus, I want to get all the talking over with in the beginning.

Hope you enjoyed! :)

~TheDreamOtaku